Reload this Page >

Tolfino or Ucluet?

Search

Tolfino or Ucluet?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 12:05 PM
frank

Tolfino or Ucluet?

I will be taking my wife on a first time visit to Vancouver, Victoria and the Tolfino/Ucluet area. We are planning to stay two nights at each location. Can someon please advise me is it better to stay in Tolfino or in Ucluet and which hotel would you recommend? <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Kate

I have been to both places and would stay in Tofino if I had the choice. I think there is a better variety of restaurants and shopping in Tofino. Be sure to try RainCoast restaurant. It doesn't look like much from the outside but the food was outstanding.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Tbone

I agree, Tofino is more aimed at tourists. It has a few small museums,galleries and more restaurants.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 02:33 PM
Frank

Thanks for your advice. I had called Hello BC and the agent had suggested that I stay at the Canadian Princess resort. Does anyone have additional suggestions for places to stay? The Canadian Princess seemed a little pricey and their website does not give me a good feel for the accomodations. <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 04:48 PM
elizabeth

Frank - re hotel suggestions: what's your price range and what time of year are you planning to visit?

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 07:01 PM
Carl Z

The Canadian Princess I know well, unfortunately. <BR>It's a complex consisting of an ancient ship-The Canadian Princess and some shore condos. <BR>It's the hub for the Party-Boat Sportfishing operation of Oak Bay Marine Group, an outfit I wouldn't ever recommend to anyone. <BR>The ship is a tin can with ancient poorly maintained cabins, music from the 2 bars pumps throughout the ship until past midnight and the first fishermen are roused at 4am by a staff member pounding on their doors <BR>Food is poorly prepared and overpriced to be polite about it. <BR>The Condos are smoking only, the carpets and drapes reek of stale smoke. <BR>Other than that they are OK but unexceptional. <BR>As mentioned not recommended to anyone I'd ever want to speak to again. <BR> Hello BC is a commission based operation, many of the staff have rarely left the 'double wide'.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 11:39 PM
April

I haven't stayed there but people seem to like the Middle Beach Lodge.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 12:17 PM
Frank

Wow, <BR> <BR>Thanks for all the good advice. I've just decided to cancel my reservations at the Canadian Princess and have booked a room at the Pacific Sands Beach resort. One last question, does anyone have any suggestions for sea kayaking in Tolfino? Do I need advanced reservations and how much does it cost? My wife and I have gone canoeing a couple of times but never gone kayaking. Should we go on a group tour? <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 12:56 PM
Brian

If you aren't familiar with paddling on the ocean I highly recommend taking a guided trip. You can get yourself in a lot of trouble in a hurry, besides, the guide will supply a lot of local ecological information which is worth the price of admission. If you do decide to go on your own, I suggest you stay in the sizeable bay inland from the town which is well protected. However even there if a storm blew up you would need to know what to do. Summer is busy, shoulder season better, winter quiet. <BR>Have fun. <BR>Brian

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 04:53 PM
mary

Frank, I am begging you, sell your home if you have to, but stay one night at the Wickaninnish Lodge. Strictly speaking, it's between the two towns, but it's much closer to Tofino. The rooms are elegant and quiet, with robes, rain jackets for beach walks, fireplaces and spectacular private views of one of the most dramatic coastlines in the world. Some rooms have jacuzzis, totally private views. The restaurant is among the best in the world. I am not kidding, please sacrifice in other places to stay here. You will talk about it the rest of your life, and your wife will adore you forever. Reserve dinner ahead to get a decent time. My husband of 30 years took me here and is now able to get whatever he wants for the foreseeable future.