Tofino to Whistler

May 27th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Tofino to Whistler

Traveling from Vancouver to spend a couple of nights in Tofino. Then taking the ferry over to Powell River then on to Whistler for a few days. (I can make it from Powell River via the ferries to Whistler in one day...right?) Any suggestions on great places to visit or things to do along the way or while out our destinations? Any words of wisdom for a couple of Texans new to the area?? No children with us and after raising 5 we prefer it that way!
May 27th, 2003, 09:57 AM

I'm going to assume that you have mistaken Powell River for the terminus of the ferry from Nanaimo. In Fact the Nanaimo ferry will take you to Horseshoe Bay which is at the begining of the Sea to Sky highway to Whistler. From Tofino to Nanaimo will take you about 3-4 hours; the Ferry from Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay is about 2 hrs but you should add about 1-2 hrs wait time to that and then the drive to Whistler from Horseshoe Bay is about 1 1/2 hours. So all told you are probably looking at a full day of travel though it won't be that strenuous.

The drive from Tofino to Nanaimo is pretty in places but there's no real attraction where you should stop and visit. The Sea to Sky Highway on the other hand has a number of interesting and pretty spots like Shannon Falls and the Brittania Beach Mining Museum. There's also a very good restaurant at the Furry Creek Golf Course.
May 28th, 2003, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Actually, no I will drive from Tofino and stay one night in Powell River. I had heard the drive along the Sunshine Coast via the ferries was nice. Is this a big mistake? The actual drive that day will be from Powell River to Whistler. What do you think Gary???
May 28th, 2003, 07:49 AM

You have to take two ferries from Powell River to get to Horseshoe Bay and vice versa. Given wait times you would be looking at almost 12 hours between Tofino and Powell River and about 5-6 hours between Powell River and Whistler.
May 29th, 2003, 07:35 AM
ltt

hi jamcat. i'm doing the same route as you. from my research i belive it is about 4 hours from tofino to comox. then the ferry crossing is 1 1/4 hours to powell river. (ferries leave at 3:15 & 7:15). stay the night in powell river and drive to whistler the next day. including the 2 ferry crossings, i'm anticipating about 8 hours. should be a beautiful day of driving.
do you know where you are stying in powell river? i need suggestions.
May 29th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

We picked a small motel in Powell River named Hyatt (I believe). Very inexpensive but I knew it would be a one night only stop. The lady who I spoke to at the motel was extremely nice! She said it takes 3 hours from Tofino and about eight to Whistler..depending on the ferries. Eight hours is what I thought also. But Gary is from the area and is considering wait time at the ferries. Are you from the area? Maybe we ought to rethink this???
May 29th, 2003, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

I just checked and its Hyatt Motor Lodge. On the website for Hyatt it says the drive from Vancouver to Powell River is 4.5 hours. This is a pretty long drive when you combine all the times. I think Gary is correct!
May 29th, 2003, 12:29 PM

I forgot about the two daily ferries from Comox to Powell River which would obviously make the travel time from Tofino to PR less than the 12 hours I mentioned. But hardly just 3 hrs. You should allow a little more than 4 hours to drive from Tofino to Comox and the Ferry ride is only about 1 hour but they are not the big ferries that travel from Vancouver to Nanaimo and Victoria so you should have a reservation.

The travel time from PR to Whistler with ferry wait times will be around 6 hours, not 8 unless you hit a very busy time and have to wait a long time for the ferry.
May 29th, 2003, 03:51 PM

IMO there is no reason for anyone to ever venture near Powell River-a grim tense and smelly mill town-blue collar BC at it's worst.

Yes some parts of the trip south are scenic-mainly from Pender Harbour to Sechelt-but the added waiting time for the various Ferries-and there's ALWAYS waiting times-combined with the additional driving mean the views such as they are aren't in any way worth it.

I recall people asking about this route in the past and my advice is the same-take the Ferry to Horseshoe Bay and drive straight to Whistler.

The time you save will be better spent in and around Whistler & environs.
May 29th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Okay, if I appreciate your opinion. Only thing is I have one night to stay somewhere before I arrive at Whistler now. Where would be a nice place in between Tofino & Whistler??????
May 30th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Oops..just re-read the above entry and I meant to say I appreciate your opinion..not if. Sorry Sam Salmon!
Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:19 AM
ltt

there ferry system told me they do NOT take reservations on the comox-powell river crossing.
Jun 2nd, 2003, 12:05 PM

Squamish has a nice selection of mid-range Motor Hotels and restaurants and is about 30-40 minutes south of Whistler.