Tofino or Sunshine Coast?

Jun 27th, 2003, 03:00 AM
debcoons

Tofino or Sunshine Coast?

We have an "open" night between stops in Victoria and Whistler and I am wondering whether to go to Tofino or across to the Sunshine Coast.

Factoring in a one-day drive from either to Whistler (for a one-night stay there before returning to Vancouver). Both Tofino and/or the Pac Rim Park or crossing to Vancouver and driving up the Sunshine Coast a way sound really worthwhile, but I'd appreciate perspective on the travel time. I want to make sure we have some free time for hiking and general walking about.

Jun 27th, 2003, 09:07 PM

The drive from whistler to tofino is a long day, as it includes the 1.5 hr drive to the ferry, waiting for the ferry (30 min to ???), ferry crossing (1.5 hr). The drive on the island from nanimo to tofino is at least a couple hours. You are looking at a 5-6 hour trip, if you time it right with the ferries. Tofino scenery and the ocean are amazing, but all that way for just one night??? and then having to drive back the next day..i would not do it.

On the other hand, the drive from whistler to vancouver ferry is 1.5 hours, then a 40 min crossing to the sunshine coast is do-able. Within 3-3.5 hours you are in Sechelt or Gibsons. This would allow for an afternoon of hiking or shopping in the unique stores of the area.

Tofino and Sechelt/Gibsons (sunshine coast) are sort of the same "type" of town - small, touristy, lots of shops and cafes with nature at its doorstep. PacRim park has the better west coast beach and crashing waves and is a great spot, but you really need a couple days in the area to offset the trip to get there.

Jul 2nd, 2003, 10:48 AM
ltt

just returned. tofino is absolutly beautiful but it is a long drive for one night. we left victoria at 8:30 and arrived at 2:30 (we were not rushing). but then the drive back to nanaimo would only be about 3 1/2 hours. it is gorgeous though.
we also came down the sunshine coast from powell river to whistler. the scenary was nice but i would never do that trip again. our first ferry was 40 minutes late which made us miss the next connection. then the second ferry was 50 minutes late. we left powell river at 8:00 and didn't arrive in whistler until 6:30. and ferries could be worse in the summer months.