Tipping in Canada??

Search

Tipping in Canada??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping in Canada??

Could you please tell us the accepted amounts to tip for things like taxis, carrying luggage into hotel or apartment, restaurants, and any other situation that you can think of? We are not used to tipping coming from Australia and we don't want to offend anyone by giving too little but also we need to watch our money, so if you could please give us a rough guide as to what to do. Thanks

Old Dec 18th, 2006, 11:41 AM

Janmart - I believe it's about the same as in the States.

You've gotten some pretty thorough advice from LoveItaly on the US forum already: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1

Unless someone else sees any discrepancy, I think you're safe using those guidelines for Canada also.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

thanks for that - we really started something didn't we??
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Cab drivers in Canada are rarely tipped-a small amount of change is fine but over tipping is considered foolish.

If a driver delivers exceptional service/accurate timely local info/carrying bags then 10% of the fare is lots.

Sadly most Canadian cabbies seem to have come to expect a tip even when their cars are filthy/in poor repair/badly driven by some slovenly dressed brute who can barely mumble a few words in English.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 02:56 PM

I'm not sure where Sam comes from, but taxi drivers have been receiving tips in Quebec ever since I made my first taxi ride in 1943.

We also tipped service station attendants, newspaper deliverers and just about anyone else who delivered a service. At Christmas the milkman, the mailman, the grocery man and so on.

It's 25 years since we moved from Montreal and I would think things have changed to some extent. But not tip a taxi driver in Quebec? I think not.

I think Arthur Frommer's advice on tipping is fairly accurate for Canada.

Old Dec 18th, 2006, 04:24 PM

Janmart - we sure did! I just got back and read through your post. So much happened in just a few short hours.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 04:40 PM
nbujic

15% to all services ( including cabs)

Old Dec 18th, 2006, 05:16 PM

Nbujic - for housekeeping, do you do 15% of the room rate? And is that everyday or once a week or once a stay, etc.?
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 05:39 PM

&quot;<i>for housekeeping, do you do 15% of the room rate? </i>&quot;

$C5/day is lots.
15% of the rate is-again-grossly over tipping.
Large hotels are all union jobs and Staff are well paid.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 07:43 PM

Sam, I thought 15% of the room rate was pretty high ($15 for a $100 room), but I thought maybe Nbujic was basing the $15 on something else or making a one-time tip at the end of the stay.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 08:24 PM

oops, I meant 15% on that last part.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Although it is becoming more so, tipping levels in Canada is a little less than in the US.

In Canada, waiters do make at least minimum wage. They don't totally rely on tips. 10-15% is acceptable. Where as I would say 15%-20% is the norm in the US. And no waiter is going to say anything if you leave too little. (This DOES happen in the US). Many people I know &quot;double the GST&quot; and round up to the nearest $ for their tip in a family style restaurant - which means a 12%-14% tip. 15% is acceptable for all but the fanciest dining.

I don't know anyone who leaves tips for housekeeping in hotels. But maybe all my friends are cheap. It definitely isn't required.

I round up with taxi drivers, giving 5-10%.

$1-$2/bag or so is appropriate for porters. Again, if you give them nothing or under tip, they won't be angry or say anything. They are paid a wage.

The only other person you need to tip are people serving drinks (bartenders, servers in bars, and people bringing drinks to your seat at sporting events). 15%ish is fine. But don't be calculating down to the penny. Round up to at least the nearest $. Drinks at sporting events are generally priced to make the tip easy. Eg. $6.50 - you give $7.

And in no case is tipping abligatory, if you get awful service from anyone don't feel that you have to tip.

Also don't feel that you have to put coins in every tip jar you see - this is totally not expected. I only put pennies and small change I can't be bothered to carry in them.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 07:31 AM

oops typo - obligatory!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 11:22 AM
LJ

I didn't tip housekeeping staff in hotels until the summer my daughter did this job. Some of the tasks she had were horrendous. Even though you, Janmart, will not expect her colleagues to take on those gross and dreadful jobs, PLEASE, do leave $5 CDN for those poor over-worked and underpaid women!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 04:50 PM

Tipping is always a hot topic whenever it comes up on this forum.

I generally agree with saltymuffin's view/tipping habits, with the following exceptions.

I always tip the housekeeping staff with $2/day ($5 as suggest by another poster is a bit rich for my blood). I leave it daily so the person doing the room that day gets it, and somewhere obvious such as the pillows so she knows it is for her.

I very rarely tip in containers that are on the counter as self-serve/self-order places. Really they aren't providng me with any extra service so I don't see the need.

Enjoy-la!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 08:37 PM
nbujic

Not all Canadian workers are unionized! ( mostly government employees belong to unions, but service workers and cab drivers seldom do). Yes, they get minimum wage - big deal!
I am not sure about hotel staff but for cab drivers and waiters 15% seems right to me.

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 06:36 AM

I don't know anyone who doesn't tip the chamber maid; I don't think $5 is too much - I always leave it at the end of the stay.

And, yes, cab drivers are tipped.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 06:49 AM

Interesting thread! After reading this, I will likely start tipping chaimbermaids, I didn't realise it was such a common thing to do . . .

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 06:52 AM

nbujic, I agree that being paid minimum wage is pretty skimpy, and some sort of tip is appropriate, but in Canada service people are at least paid that minimum wage ($7-$9/hr). Many service people in the US are not paid a salary or only $1-$2/hr, they TOTALLY rely on tips for their income, so tipping is a bit different south of the border.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 07:30 AM
nbujic

hi,
true,
when in New York I tip 15-20%.
On our Sept. trip to Australia we were told not to tip cab drivers; we did anyway and they were most grateful !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -