Three weeks to syudy French in Montreal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2018, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a 56-year old Cajun from southwestern Louisiana. I spoke both Cajun (think "old french", which is pretty close) and English until I went to kindergarten, at which point i was teased so much that I told my parents I would never speak Cajun again. So I lost that language until high school when I picked up standard French. Here and there an immersion or university course. If I had to guess, I would say my level of French is advanced.

I am serious about studying to become more fluent, and also want to have fun in an environment of people of similar ages.

In 2016, I attended the 5-week spring course of French immersion at Université Ste. Anne in Nova Scotia. I loved it. Although the majority of students were younger, there was a group of about 20 that were my age. Students live in dorms grouped by age. I was 100% satisfied with this type of experience - academic classes in the morning, workshops in the evening, and MANY social activities all the time.

I am looking for something along those lines in another location for summer 2018. I am considering France, but Montreal would be so much more convenient. I have looked at a few places that offer classes that start every Monday, so I could go anytime for a three-week visit.

Most look like either

1) A typical "college" environment where the average age is around 20,

2) or "senior" trips where the education seems to be not as rigorous/structured.

Does anyone have suggestions in Montreal for classes that I could take 20-30 hours per week with others in my demographic?

Thanks very much,

Kevin
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

"study" French...
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 03:05 AM

I would not choose Montréal if you really want to be immersed in French for three weeks. English is too prevalent there and you will likely find that your French will often be met by English responses.

You should look at Québec City instead.

Even better, I would suggest the Western University (of London Ontario) summer school at Trois-Pistoles, a town about 200 km east of Québec on the south shore of the St Lawrence River. You will be completely immersed in French there and they have classes of varying length. You will be billeted with a family so you will continue in a French language environment for your entire stay. They have a variety of courses and you will find one to meet your ability and age group.

http://frenchimmersion.uwo.ca/?

Bonnie chance!
Old May 11th, 2018, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by laverendrye

Bonnie chance!
Bonne chance.....
Old May 12th, 2018, 05:20 AM

For the spelling police: This site's redesign included an editing option. As with a lot of other functions, I have to fumble around to find it. But it's helpful for us with fumbling fingers and second thoughts.