Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on American travelers amid Covid-19?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2020, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a trip planned for Vancouver and Vancouver Island at end of May. I haven't heard from my photo workshop people as to whether they're considering cancelling it. I SO hope, for everyone's sake, that this is over - or at least contained - long before May, but I've no clue how soon to consider cancelling my trip. I've done some Googling but am not sure how Vancouver has been affected, or thoughts regarding tourism. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

I’ll take that as a no opinion. 😉
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 10:31 PM

It's hard to give you an answer as things are changing from hour to hour. In B.C. we have about 68 known cases so far.
Our Prime Minister's wife has the virus. People are being told to not do any unnecessary travelling at the moment-even to the US.
The Attorney General has said that all events over 250 people must be cancelled.
People are being asked to work from home where possible and to limit social interaction.
Do you have insurance? Have you contacted the organizers of your workshop?
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raincitygirl
It's hard to give you an answer as things are changing from hour to hour. In B.C. we have about 68 known cases so far.
Our Prime Minister's wife has the virus. People are being told to not do any unnecessary travelling at the moment-even to the US.
The Attorney General has said that all events over 250 people must be cancelled.
People are being asked to work from home where possible and to limit social interaction.
Do you have insurance? Have you contacted the organizers of your workshop?
Ah, thanks raincity girl. I didn't mean to offend, hence the smiley. This is actually helpful and kind of what I was wondering. So there is no outright ban on travelers coming into BC? There is so much conflicting information out there, and I don't want to come across as insensitive when I ask about this. I SO want to come to BC in May. You know how it goes when you've done so much research! I have not contacted the workshop organizer yet. I'm guessing that since May is still a couple months out, there's a wait and see going on. I had not gotten trip insurance yet because the whole trip wasn't planned out, and I don't have final costs. I should have just gotten something. Stay healthy, everyone!
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rocket79
Ah, thanks raincity girl. I didn't mean to offend, hence the smiley. This is actually helpful and kind of what I was wondering. So there is no outright ban on travelers coming into BC? There is so much conflicting information out there, and I don't want to come across as insensitive when I ask about this. I SO want to come to BC in May. You know how it goes when you've done so much research! I have not contacted the workshop organizer yet. I'm guessing that since May is still a couple months out, there's a wait and see going on. I had not gotten trip insurance yet because the whole trip wasn't planned out, and I don't have final costs. I should have just gotten something. Stay healthy, everyone!
Cruise ports were just closed to "large ships (500+)" until July so that help with hotel rates.

I think you will have to stay tuned and of course contact the organizer. It would not surprise if conferences and workshops are cancelled.
Old Mar 14th, 2020, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlgb
Cruise ports were just closed to "large ships (500+)" until July so that help with hotel rates.

I think you will have to stay tuned and of course contact the organizer. It would not surprise if conferences and workshops are cancelled.
Thank you for the information. All we can do is wait. I really hope things will be better for everyone sooner rather than later. Fingers crossed that means by end of May we’ll be ok. Thanks again.
Old Mar 14th, 2020, 01:24 PM

Oh your comment was not offensive at all. I hope you can still come on your trip too and I know exactly what it's like having done all the research etc and then looking forward to a good time. We have booked a trip to Italy in September and we are playing the same waiting game.

If there are any new updates on the situation here in B.C. I will post them here for you. Keep healthy!
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 04:49 AM

Rocket79, I also really hope you can still make that trip. B.C. has a special place in my heart (I don't live there). We are looking at two trips maybe cancelled - the first is to Massanutten Resort in Northern Virginia end of March. That is probably off the table, but as yet the timeshare resort is not willing to give any refunds or rebooking, so we would be completely out the money. The second is Alaska in July, which involved a substantial outlay of cash in advance just to get it on the books. I did get trip insurance for that, although we are finding that COVID-19 doesn't really fall under the insurance umbrella, unless you got "cancel for any reason."
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sludick
Rocket79, I also really hope you can still make that trip. B.C. has a special place in my heart (I don't live there). We are looking at two trips maybe cancelled - the first is to Massanutten Resort in Northern Virginia end of March. That is probably off the table, but as yet the timeshare resort is not willing to give any refunds or rebooking, so we would be completely out the money. The second is Alaska in July, which involved a substantial outlay of cash in advance just to get it on the books. I did get trip insurance for that, although we are finding that COVID-19 doesn't really fall under the insurance umbrella, unless you got "cancel for any reason."

Thank you. Me, too. I can't believe that TimeShare is behaving so badly amid this global health crisis. Keep your fingers crossed for Alaska; I'm doing the same for BC in May! The workshop organizer is going to let us know in about a week, but feels like he has little choice but to cancel. I feel so badly as this is a main source of revenue for a lot of these folks. Stay healthy everyone, so this can get taken care of!
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Oh your comment was not offensive at all. I hope you can still come on your trip too and I know exactly what it's like having done all the research etc and then looking forward to a good time. We have booked a trip to Italy in September and we are playing the same waiting game.

If there are any new updates on the situation here in B.C. I will post them here for you. Keep healthy!
Thank you! My husband has cousins and friends in Italy, who are really struggling. I hope it gets better in time for your trip too, for them and for you!
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 12:36 PM

Thank you, I hope so too.
So today our Prime Minister made an announcement (from his house where he is self isolating as his wife has the virus). Starting Wednesday anyone who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident will not be admitted into Canada, EXCEPT Americans. I think they are allowing Americans because of economic ties, cross border trade etc. But that could change.

Canadians abroad are being urged to get home NOW. Anyone showing symptoms will not be allowed to board the plane. Anyone having been out of country, even to the US and even if you just crossed the border for the day MUST quarantine at home for 14 days.
Only 4 Canadian airports will have international flights: Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto and Calgary.

Here in B.C. we just had 3 more deaths. A few days ago we were told no more gatherings of more than 250 people, today it is now no more gatherings of more than 50 people. I have been self isolating since last week. Let's hope this doesn't last too long.
Stay healthy!!
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, I hope so too.
So today our Prime Minister made an announcement (from his house where he is self isolating as his wife has the virus). Starting Wednesday anyone who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident will not be admitted into Canada, EXCEPT Americans. I think they are allowing Americans because of economic ties, cross border trade etc. But that could change.

Canadians abroad are being urged to get home NOW. Anyone showing symptoms will not be allowed to board the plane. Anyone having been out of country, even to the US and even if you just crossed the border for the day MUST quarantine at home for 14 days.
Only 4 Canadian airports will have international flights: Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto and Calgary.

Here in B.C. we just had 3 more deaths. A few days ago we were told no more gatherings of more than 250 people, today it is now no more gatherings of more than 50 people. I have been self isolating since last week. Let's hope this doesn't last too long.
Stay healthy!!
That's horrible. Have they been able to trace the transmission point of those who died? Ugh. This is just surreal.
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 03:29 PM

That's horrible. Have they been able to trace the transmission point of those who died? Ugh. This is just surreal.
All 4 deaths were people in the same care home. Elderly people with underlying issues.
As of Tuesday we had 186 confirmed cases, which means more like 50 times that number of actual cases.
This province is now in a state of public health emergency, no gatherings larger than 10, all pubs, bars, night clubs must shut down and restaurants can do take out only.

I get daily emails about businesses who are closing down for the time being. People are being told to stay home except for essential things like grocery shopping, the pharmacy etc. and practice social distancing ( stay six feet away from each other), work from home if possible.

Most dentists have shut down except for dental emergencies. Partly because of the risk of them getting infected but also because there was an enormous dental conference in Vancouver recently and someone with the virus was in attendance there. (they didn't know they had it at the time)

Also last night there was an announcement that the border between our 2 countries is now closed to non essential travel, no recreation or tourism travel, only the transit of goods back and forth and for urgent reasons. This is temporary and the Prime Minister says for 30 days at this point, however that could end up being longer depending on what happens.

Yes it is surreal, I don't remember a time when the border was closed like this. Canadians in Florida and Mexico are scrambling to get home, many driving. Other Canadians are stuck in places like Morocco etc where those countries have shut down airports or borders.
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the update. Such very scary times. I did see that the border was closed. Keeping all in my thoughts and let’s hope we can get it under control soon.