Theft at Banff Parks

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theft at Banff Parks

Just thought I would alert any travelers heading to parks in the Banff National Parks area. Went to Peyto Lake today and parked in the lot, went on a short hike to the lookout, came back and someone had broken out the back passenger window and stolen our purses. (Granted, I know it was very foolish to leave them in there but...)
Went to file a report at the RCMP and they said there have been a rash of these for some time, at all the surrounding parks - wish we'd known. So, just a warning..........Hey, it's still beautiful up here - just thought maybe we left the bad guys back in Atlanta - NOPE, they're everywhere!
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 02:10 PM

So sorry to hear about your misfortune, riddlekitty2, but thank you for giving the rest of us a heads up.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 08:05 PM

The police are slowly expanding this program. They now have bait motorcycles and bait bicycles. Maybe the parks should be next.
http://www.baitcar.com/
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 03:23 PM

Unfortunately anywhere that tourists leave their cars is going to be a target for thieves...I don't think anywhere is really safe. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Well, we just got back to Atlanta from the Canadian Rockies today. It has been quite an experience the past few days. We got to Canmore last Saturday, woke up to like 6" of snow and slick roads but thank goodness we rented a Jeep Commander 4WD to help us get around. The scenery was beautiful, saw lots of wildlife, ate at some nice restaurants, people were really nice, except the butthole that took our stuff. We were a little concerned about getting back into the states with absolutely no identification but everybody we encountered helped us out and it went smoothly. We all learned a lesson at our age - don't bring everything with you. And...I'd like to come back to Canada when it's a little warmer and more things are open - it's breathtaking.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Glad to hear that the rest of your trip went well!