Reload this Page >

Texan needs advice on Rockies trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:20 PM
cavcmy

Hi! We are visiting the Canadian Rockies in Sept and I have several questions if anyone has time to answer.<BR><BR>We will be in the Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper areas Sept.20-27 and can't decide if we need to bring a warm jacket of any kind. We will have turtlenecks, fleece vests, etc., but coming from Texas in September, coats aren't really in our vocabulary at this time of the year! And, we don't want to waste suitcase space if not needed. What do you think? Do we need a jacket? What is the weather generally like in Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper during this period? <BR><BR>Taxi fare from downtown Calgary to the airport is listed as $22-23 CAD at several websites. Does anyone know if that is per person? <BR><BR>In Calgary, we got a great rate at Delta Bow Valley Hotel. What do you think of this hotel?<BR><BR>And, finally, in Calgary, are there shops/galleries/restaurants, etc. along the Bow River waterfront area near downtown or is this more of a walking/biking trail only? <BR><BR>I would appreciate any info you can share. We can't wait...42 days! Thanks for your help.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:57 PM
billybob

Take it from another resident of the Lone Star state. YES!!! Bring a jacket. The average high temperature in Banff during this period is 58F and the average low temperature is 36F. Too chilly without a coat.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Gayle Rubinstein

Ditto on the jacket. We were there in August last year and never put on a pair of shorts the whole time. Once you hit those glaciers it's freezing. You will be standing on pure ice. By the way you will be blown away by the scenery.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 05:23 AM
dnorrie

This summer has had cooler temperatures than normal but that could easily change. The weather has been hard to predict this year and September will probably by Indian Summer which is my personal favorite time of year. The cold doesn't usually bother me too much but I would suggest that you bring a good fleece jacket rather than vest. North Face is my preference. They breath well and still are very warm. If you find it is too cool, you could always pick up a jacket in Calgary. <BR><BR>I stayed at the Delta Bow Valley about a month ago. The staff are extremely gracious/courteous. The hotel is aging a bit but still clean and comfortable. I had complaints. It is also in a very good location.<BR><BR>Their dining room is excellent as well. The night I was there, there were only 3 or 4 other people eating so I was waited on hand and foot. All restaurants in the Delta Bow Valley are non-smoking. The lobby area comprises a piano area and lounge where you can have a quiet cocktail (it is a stop off for the downtown business people after work) and listen to nice music. The lounge does allow smoking. The hotel is near Kensington which is a funky area of Calgary for shopping. It is not too far from the Eau Claire Market and lots of other places. <BR><BR>Taxi fare is for the car, not per person. <BR><BR>Remember to save all receipts for purchases over $50 (including your hotel room). If you are making a purchase that is $49.99, add something to top it over $50 so that you can claim back the GST. These must be original receipts (til tapes, hotel etc.) not just VISA receipts. Get them stamped before leaving Canada. All information is on the CCRA website - do a search on this forum for the many posts about this.<BR><BR>Enjoy your visit to our province.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 05:24 AM
dnorrie

I meant to say I had NO complaints with the Delta Bow Valley, sorry.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Stuart

Ditto on what Dori said. September is the best time of the year to come to Banff. Weather can be hot, (85 degress F.) but then it can rain the next day. When it rains here it is cold. It September, it could snow, but it won't last. Bring shorts and fleece!<BR><BR>Delta hotel is good, lots of shopping within walking distance.<BR><BR>Must do's:<BR><BR>see the Banff Springs Hotel, ride the Banff Gondola, see Lake Louise and especially Morraine Lake. Go to jasper if you have time.<BR><BR>Enjoy. P.S. I live in Banff<BR>

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Betty

Hi, I am from Texas and know exactly why you are not sure whether you need a coat in the Canadian Rockies in September. I guess the answer has to be Yes, bring a coat. I was in the area from July 9 to July 17. The temperature was 92-95 degrees F first five days and then dropped to 70s F. You never know. Besides, you will need a warm cloth in September if you want to visit Colombia icefield (don’t miss the SonwCoach ride!!!) or hike in the mountains at a high elevation (in Jasper area).<BR><BR>As for shops and galleries in Calgary, I missed all – every shops/gallery in downtown was closed when I got there 7:05 pm. There are more than 70 shops at the Calgary Airport, but I missed those, too - I thought I would check in my luggage and then go shopping. But once I checked in my luggage, I was (no one is) not allowed to go to the shops outside of the check point due to seurity reason. I was trapped in the waiting area for more than 3 hours!!! The waiting area had only one newpaper stand, a couple of food stands. Be aware of that.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!<BR><BR>Betty<BR><BR>

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 09:52 AM
x

take hwy 1A from banff to lake louise - it's longer then the main hwy but you can stop at johnson's canyon which is a nice, simple hike. take the walk along lake louise - flat and pretty. a good restaurant in the "village" part of lake louise is the caboose (sp? by old train station).<BR>yes to a coat but plan on bringing cloths you can layer cause the temperature can vary A LOT between day and evening. <BR>great time of year to go.