Ten days on Vancouver Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My GF and myself are planing a ten day getaway in mid July to VC Island. We have both been to Vancouver City and Victoria before so we don't need to spend time there. Just perhaps traveling points.
Is ten days too much time? Should we break it up and try to do Banff and Jasper?
Any suggested itinerary or route is welcome. Where would we fly into -Vancouver??
We plan to rent a car probably in Victoria. Will car and hotel availability be a problem at this time?

Thanks!!
Old Apr 13th, 2014, 05:05 PM

Are you interested in exploring North Vancouver Island? I believe you could spend 10 days on the island, yes - depending on your interests.

Otherwise, you might consider adding in some other locales (Banff/Jasper, but also Okanagan or Bella Coola or Wells Gray or a number of other wonderful options). What are your main interests? We gravitate to mountains/ocean/waterfalls and are not so much nightlife.
Old Apr 13th, 2014, 07:08 PM

Long Beach is a must, then to comox/Courtney and ferry across to powell river. then down the coast[another ferry] to Gibsons. Another ferry to horseshoe bay, and then drive to whistler
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 12:51 PM

Yes, no need to rent a car in Victoria if you say you don't need to go there. Take the ferry to Departure Bay nanaimo and rent a car from there. Mid July the weather is usually great. If you plan to go to Tofino or the west coast you need to make hotel reservations. Don't go and assume you will find a room, you will waste a lot of time and may not find one.
Old Apr 21st, 2014, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Isn't Banff/Jasper a 13 hr drive from VC Island? This would be pausing it then. Better to stay on the island ?
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 07:01 PM

Stay with the Island itinerary and leave the Rockies for another trip- the route leuk2 suggested is perfect
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 06:27 AM

I would stick to the Island instead of going mainland as well.
I've been a tour guide for almost a decade, seen a lot of places on Vancouver Island. My favourite has been hiking the West Coast Trail. If you're into backpacking it's a must! Best trip of my life.
Rent a car on the Island, as taking it with you on the ferry will cost you lots.
If you like day hikes: great alpine trails in Strathcona Provincial Park, and for hiking between giant trees: Juan de Fuca Trail.
Go kayaking with Orca's in the Johnstone Strait. Whale-and coastal bear watching from Tofino. Hope this helps. www.tour-guide-canada.com/
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 07:38 AM
ltt

stick to the island. i would plan on 4 nights in the tofino area. i like the ocean sand's resort ocean view suites in parksville. we often toured during the day and then cook dinner in the suite and at on the balcony to enjoy the view. nice beach. did a day trip out to hornby island which was great ... nice walks and great beach at tribune bay.
Old May 7th, 2014, 06:33 PM

We live in Texas and love Tofino. Kayaking tours, SUP in the flats and whale watching are our favorites. And, Tacofino is the best!!
Old May 10th, 2014, 09:34 AM

You are right- Tacofino is the best!! Lucky for us mainlanders they have a Tacofino Commissary in Vancouver