Sylvia Hotel

Feb 20th, 2004, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Sylvia Hotel

Has anyone stayed here lately? Understood it to be a nice moderate hotel a few years ago, but haven't heard anything since.

The location seems great. How are the rooms?
Feb 20th, 2004, 07:47 AM

I presume you mean The Sylvia Hotel on English Bay in Vancouver. That Sylvia is indeed in a great location, a moderately priced hotel, somewhat dated, in my opinion.
Feb 20th, 2004, 08:37 AM

As AMCANADIAN says the Sylvia's location on English Bay is terrific as is it's proximity to Stanley Park and Denman Street = the main north-south street of the West End. However it is more than 'somewhat' dated and while that's part of it's emmense charm you should be prepared for small rooms and less than spacious bathrooms and vanities. They also fill up very early in the high season.
Feb 20th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input... I've read both good and bad about this hotel - must be a love/hate thing!

If anyone else can kick in some comments, let me know! (we still haven't decided).

Is there any other hotel in the English Bay area that could be recommended?
Feb 20th, 2004, 06:44 PM

There is the Best Western Sands hotel on the corner of Davie and Denman which is your average mid quality 1960's vintage Motor Inn and the Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites a block further up Denman at Comox. It's a high rise hotel, (about 35 floors), with full facilities and a mini shopping mall on the ground level. The Coast Plaza is probably the best hotel in the immediate English Bay area although it's three stars at best. There are other equivilant and better hotels further away from English Bay and a few fleabags closer in but the Coast Plaza, the BW Sands and the Sylvia are probably the best quality in that order.
Feb 25th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We'll try the Coast Plaza Hotel.

Search this Thread