summer trip

Apr 4th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

summer trip

Has anyone ever heard of a travel company called Good Earth Travel out of Alberta? Are they reliable? We are interested in taking their self drive discovery and train journey. Is the rail from Jasper to Vancouver worth doing? Thanks for any info
Apr 4th, 2006, 12:38 PM

>>>>>>Has anyone ever heard of a travel company called Good Earth Travel out of Alberta?<<<<<<

No.

>>>>>>Are they reliable?<<<<<<

I did a Google search for them, and found their website. Their suggested itineraries are good, and the hotels at which they book their clients are excellent.

That said, I'm not quite sure what they could get wrong. Since their itineraries are self-drive, what do they actually do for you? I guess they book a rental car, all of your hotels and the Rocky Mountaineer train for you.

Without individually pricing a rental car, the same hotels, and the train, it's hard to know if you could get a better deal on your own than Good Earth Travel's package. I suppose if you really wanted to find out, you would need to make the necessary enquiries and do the math.

>>>>>>Is the rail from Jasper to Vancouver worth doing?<<<<<<

I have not done the route by train, only by road. I've heard from people who have taken the Rocky Mountaineer that it's great.

Then train is very expensive, though. Also, you would incur a steep one-way drop off fee for turning in your rental car in Jasper. You'd incur a one-way rental fee if you picked up in Calgary and dropped off in Vancouver too, but I think the Jasper drop off fee might be higher.

By coincidence, my website has a suggested itinerary that's very similar to Good Earth Travel's itinerary. Mine and theirs differ in one respect. I have the traveller driving from Jasper to Vancouver in a day, which admittedly makes for a very long day. It would be more ideal to break the journey for a night in Kamloops, as the Rocky Mountaineer does. It also would be more ideal to spend three full days, rather than only one full day, in Vancouver.

http://groups.msn.com/CalgaryandCana...ips/9days.msnw

My "itinerary planning services" (said tongue in cheek) are free. But then all I provide is the website that you are welcome to read. I don't make your reservations for you.

Sorry I couldn't tell you more about Good Earth Travel, but I hope the above information helps.
Apr 5th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your response. I do need to do the math to see if they are worth using. I liked their itinerary a lot. They price also includes 4 dinners and some activities that you choose in each location, i.e. kayaking, hiking etc. I would expect them to be reputable and what I like it that they obviously know the area well and everything is planned for you ahead of time.
The drop off fee for the car in Jasper is $100.
I'll check out your website

Thanks,
Amy
Apr 5th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Well, as usual, I am going to espouse a contra opinion. I don't see how the trip from Jasper to Vancouver could be all that scenic for the simple fact that the country-side itself is sort of humdrum.

I have driven the route more than once, and what I saw mostly was trees.

Once I left Kamloops, the route to Mt. Robson was in a word boring.

The Fraser River Canyon, which is an alternative to the Coquihalls Freeway, is intersting and scenic. Having ridden trains on long trips in Europe, I suppose the romance of a train trip soon settles into a time for either reading a book or listening to music.

You can rent a car and do it yourself at a cheaper price, in my opinion.
Besides, you can go places with a car that the train cannot go at all.

I don't think planning a trip in the Canadian Rockies and westward to Vancouver is all that involved or difficult.

I have talked with several of my neighbors who have gone with rail trips out there and when I listen to their description I figure that they missed the good stuff.

The web is a wonderful planning tool, and once you know what the prime objectives are, I find little problem in planning where to stay and where to go.

Apr 5th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Coquihalla Freeway.
Bad proof reading.
It has lots of nice trees.
Gently rolling, some slightly steep spots, but a very nice drive.
Apr 5th, 2006, 08:44 AM

To add to what Bob said, my preferred way of exiting the Canadian Rockies towards Vancouver is to travel Lake Louise - Golden - Revelstoke and so on. The scenery on that route is wonderful, with the highlight perhaps being Rogers Pass between Golden and Revelstoke.

But Jasper is a highly worthwhile destination as well.

In my opinion the ideal is to drive up to Jasper, drive back down the Icefields Parkway to Lake Louise, and then head west towards Vancouver from there.

That does mean doublebacking and seeing the Icefields Parkway twice. That is no hardship at all, since you cannot absorb the beauty of the Icefields Parkway on a single drive, and the scenery in any case looks different when it's viewed from the opposite direction.

However, it depends how much time you have to spend on the trip. A great many guided tours follow the same route as Good Earth Travel's itinerary. For people who have a relatively short time in which to accomplish the trip, it is an efficient route.

I never know how much of this stuff to include in an initial response. My responses tend to be very long as it is. I don't know how much information people can absorb when they start researching.

Anyway, I agree with what Bob has told you.
Apr 5th, 2006, 10:37 AM

Hi I agree with Judy's last post. That is the most scenic route. I used to work on the trains and my opinion is that they are very pricey for what you get.
Apr 5th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

I seem to agree that the rail is very pricey now that I've done more research and Bob may be right...lots of trees. I will consider Judy's suggested route by car.

Search this Thread