Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sulphur Mt or Lake Louise tram ride?

Which tram ride should we do...Lake Louise or Banff Sulphur Mt? Thanks
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 11:49 PM

We did both - plus the Jasper one and enjoyed them all. Choose a clear day and I'm sure either will not disapoint.

At Lake Louise you have a choice of open ski lift type chairs or closed cabins. We saw 2 grizzlies beneath the lift! We went up on a realy clear sunny day and had terrific views to the mountains on the other side of the valley with the lake in the middle looking like a blue jewel. If you go on this lift, for an extra $6 on your ticket, you can have an all you can eat buffet lunch in the fantastic log lodge at the bottom, they also do something similar at breakfast. It doesn't take you right to the top of the mountain, so there aren't 360 degree views but they are still stunning.

At Banff the gondola has continuous enclosed cabins. At the top is a boardwalk to the mountain summit with fantastic 360 degree views and lots of boards giving information on the mountains and wildlife. There is a snack bar, a cafe an a more formal restaurant, all with great views.

Jasper tramway has 2 large cabins, one going in each direction into which about 20 people are crammed, standing up. At the top is a cafe, restaurant and gift shop. The highlight for us was the walk to the summit which took about 45 minutes of steep walking (each way) - but the 360 degree views made it well worth it. We also saw a hoary marmot, ground squirrels and a ptarmigan, as well as some lovely alpine flowers.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 04:26 AM

I was happy to see this post, as we are mulling over the same question for our September trip. Have fun, buckleitup5! When are you going?
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 05:02 AM
maj

Great description Maria H. We had clear days for Jasper and Banff and a cloudy one for Lake Louise and it made a big difference. Partly because of that we liked the Lake Louise one the least. There is less to see there also, because you don't get 360 degree views. If you are only going to do one, I would pick Banff. Liked Jasper too, but to enjoy the most of that I think you need to walk up the summit.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. I appreciate it so much!