Banff/Lake Louise

Search

Banff/Lake Louise

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banff/Lake Louise

We're traveling to the FairmontBanff Springs for a conference but have 2 full days to do whatever we want prior to our meetings. Can a knowledgable Fodorite give me some suggestions for day trips? We'll be based in a B & B in Canmore for the first 2 days before transferring to the Fairmont. Once at the Fairmont, we'll also have several afternoons open. I'd also like some restaurant suggestions, particularly what locals might favor! Thanks!
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 05:14 PM
tpl

What time of year will you be going?
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Sorry! We'll be arriving Tuesday, August 5!
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 08:24 PM

Here are some things I really enjoyed when I was there last week:

--driving on the Icefields Parkway to the Icefields glacier (spectacular scenery)

---hiking to the waterfalls along the way

--hiking the trail to the back of Lake Louise and then up to the Tea House(more spectacular scenery)

--walking the trail along the Bow River from the Banff Springs Hotel into downtown Banff

I didn't have time to take the Lake Louise or Banff Gondola rides but I here they are great and you can eat at the restaurants at the top.

Also I didn't have time to take a float trip ride on the Bow River, but it sure looked like fun.

Have a great time!
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 05:01 AM

If you're going to take a gondola ride I highly suggest you do the Sulphur Mountain in Banff as opposed to Lake Louise. The restaurant at the top of Sulphur Mtn. has a lot more to offer. Also while the hike up to the Lake Agnes tea room at Lake Louise is only 3.4 km long its straight up the whole way.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 05:24 AM

Just to clarify, there are 2 hikes to 2 different tea houses at Lake Louise. The first one, the one you can see (barely) through the trees is the Lake Agnes Tea House. The other one is the Plain of Six Glaciers, which is at the far end of the lake and cannot be seen from the main area. You can also do a ciruit and do both of those along with the Big Beehive. We just did the circuit a few weeks ago and it was a lot of fun!
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 06:15 AM

In Canmore, Crazyweed's on Main Street is excellent. Casual, everything is made fresh on-site, healthy and eclectic; I often try to time my travels to have lunch there. They have recently renovated; I have not been since, but hear it is as good as ever.
In Banff, Coyote's is casual, fresh Southwestern fare, highly regarded, you may neeed reservations for dinner.
Also, the Sunday buffet brunch at the Fairmont is excellent; expensive, but in the top 2 Sunday brunches I have done.