Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page > suggestions for 40th birthday trip - Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto?

suggestions for 40th birthday trip - Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto?

Mar 1st, 2008, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

suggestions for 40th birthday trip - Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto?

I would like to celebrate my 40th birthday with another girlfriend who is also turning 40 -- trip would be in late July. We want to feel safe at night, shop, eat, maybe see a show. We would be coming from Philadelphia and Denver, and only have 4 days (probably Thursday - Sunday), so want to have as direct flights as possible from these cities.

Would love some suggestions -- Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto, etc. Thanks.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:00 AM
LJ

I can vouch for the safety, interest and fun of walking around downtown Toronto. I live in an area called The Annex that has an abundance of great restaurants, retail offerings from the quirky to the fabulous and accomodation from B&B's to fancy hotels. The vibe in this part of TO ranges from studenty (my end) to high-end glamour (the Yorkville side) but all safe at night.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 04:56 PM

Hi edunk,

I haven't been to Vancouver, but I would totally vote for Montreal. We have great nightlife, amazing shopping, there's beautiful Old Montreal, it has "european" feel to it (but don't go to Mtl expecting Paris )

The summer in Montreal is full of festivals and activities for every interest and age group.

Let us know what you decide!

Layla
Mar 3rd, 2008, 05:02 PM

Well, I have to vote for my hometown -- Toronto. Great neighbourhoods, great ethnic restaurants, lots of 'villages', festivals every weekend in the summer, Harbourfront, the islands, the Distillery District, theatre, music!

Come to Toronto, edunk!
Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:43 PM

I live in Toronto, and vote is for Montreal.
Mar 4th, 2008, 10:27 PM

I live in Vancouver and while I love the city, travelling by air to the west coast with only 4 days doesn't sound appealing to me. Montreal ges my vote. There are usually plenty of events happening in Montreal during the summer. As well, it's Quebec City's 400th birthday, so you could always take a side tour up there too. Hey! When's the Calgary Stampede? It's party town for the duration.
Mar 5th, 2008, 04:53 PM

Go to Toronto or Montreal if you want to shop or see a show.

Go to Vancouver if you want evening walks along the beach watching the sunset and fresh seafood on waterfront patios.
Mar 5th, 2008, 06:35 PM

I've lived in both Toronto and Montreal and for the end of July my vote would have to be Toronto. The city is hugely diverse, we have great restaurants (just check out the Ontario board at chowhound.com), and the arts community has enjoyed a revitalization with the opening of the new opera house, the newest part of the museum, and great theatre in and around Toronto in the summer. There is also the Beaches jazz festival (among others) in late July, and did I mention the great restaurants?
Mar 6th, 2008, 08:41 AM

Vancouver will have the best climate then, I'm pretty sure. I feel safe at night walking around as a woman of a similar age.

Toronto and Montreal will have more cultural opportunities, but Vancouver should have more than sufficient, particularly for a 4-day stay.
Mar 6th, 2008, 08:47 AM

I dunno, Will. The weather's pretty nice in Toronto and Montreal in July. I don't think I'd make that my deciding factor.

I guess if it were me, I'd google each city to see what was happening there on the weekend I could come. You might hit on something that's of particular interest to you and your friend.

Hard to go wrong with this decision, E! All are great cities.
Mar 6th, 2008, 09:06 AM

Vancouver's a long way to go for 4 days. There's a 3 hour time change to deal with if you're coming from Philadelphia. I go out there often (family live outside of Vancouver), and it always takes me a few days to recover when I come back. I would vote for Toronto or Montreal personally.
Mar 6th, 2008, 11:43 AM
LJ

Hey TOTraveler, would I likely run into you on the Chowhound Board? I always ask their advice when I am going to a new city/country and try to help out others with advice on the places I know best: TO, Halifax (and the South Shore) and NL.

PS edunk: I still think TO is best for the girl's weekend you are describing and the weather here is glorious is July.
Mar 7th, 2008, 06:51 PM

LJ,

I tend to be a bit more of a reader than a writer on Chowhound, but I do post (albeit under a different name) when the topic is something/someplace that I know well. I lived in the annex a bunch of years ago, and I still love the area. Like you, I always try to check out the Chow Board for the city that I'm visiting, and have gotten some great suggestions. Luckily, Toronto is truly a great eating city and, of course, July is a great time to be here.
Mar 15th, 2008, 06:07 PM

I live in Toronto and turn 40 in late July!

I think Toronto would be a good choice - direct flights are easy to find, and it is a safe city with great shopping, food and theatre.

Montreal is also a good choice for food and shopping, but not for English language theatre if that is the kind of show you are looking for.
Mar 17th, 2008, 02:44 PM

If theatre is what you're looking for it's not in abundance in Montreal, but there is some. Check out the website for the Centaur theatre to see if anything is happening at that time that interests you. There is English language theatre in Montreal...you just have to do your homework.

Layla

Search this Thread