Reload this Page >

Smashed-in-Head-Buffalo-Jump

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 06:28 PM
Maxine

No one has mentioned stopping off to view this site. Is is worth seeing as we make our way down from Calgary to Waterton.<BR><BR>We are leaving soon. Would like a reply. Thanks

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 07:17 PM
Wendy

Maxine,<BR><BR>ABSOLUTELY! We stopped off at Smashed-in-Head-Buffalo-Jump on our way from Dinosaur Provincial Park to Waterton. It is an amazing museum built into the side of a cliff where Buffalo Jumps were held. The museum is staffed by Native People who do a wonderful job of explaining and sharing their history. We found the site and the information to be facinating.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.<BR><BR>P.S. I hope you are planning to go to the paleontology museum in Drumheller. It is the best of its kind and well worth a visit.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 08:15 PM
Bob Brown

Amen to all that has been said.<BR>And when you get to Waterton, I think (hope) you will like the boat ride to the end of Waterton Lake.<BR>And drop by the Prince of Wales Hotel up on that point that has a superb south along the lake.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 12:50 PM
Allan

Yes, well worth the stop, esp. since you are headed that way. The museum is good but what makes it is the physical environment from the cliff(s) to the prairie expanses - you can really impagine/visualize how life was.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 05:00 PM
traveller

When driving to Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump from Calgary, as you near Fort Macleod, keep your eyes peeled for the signs as I don't find that it is particularily well marked. The turn off is fairly near Fort Macleod. Worth a visit also (especially on the weekends) is the Fort Museum in Fort Macleod. It is a small town but the do have the RCMP musical ride which most people seem to enjoy. As a local, I am guilty of never visiting what is in my back yard but I have been to Head-Smashed-In as my sister painted the panels. It really is an amazing place. Welcome and enjoy Southern Alberta.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 06:22 PM
traveller

Just as an added note, when looking for the signs, it is a small brownish sign on the right hand side advising that the turn-off is ?? kms. ahead. About 8 kms. I think. Also, it is Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump that you will be watching for, not Smashed-In-Head. If you ask in Claresholm, the last small town before Fort Macleod, they can probably give you some great directions. People in the small towns tend to be very helpful.