Ski Quebec in April? Snow?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping to ski during Easter weekend next year in Quebec (April 5th). Is there still reliable snow that time of year? What's climate like? Any suggestions of what resort?
Thanks for your comments!
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends on the kind of winter and where you will want to ski.

This past year had one of the heaviest snowfalls in several decades, and my last day of skiing at Mt Tremblant was April 17 (closing was April 19). By then, there was still lots of coverage, but the temperature was so warm that it was very heavy indeed. That's very unusual, although I have had good skiing there as late as April 7. Other years, skiing can be finished by the last week in March.

The season lasts a bit longer further north at places like Mont-Saint-Anne and Le Massif, both of which I prefer to Tremblant. You should be able to ski there over Easter weekend although the conditions may not be at their best. They could also be great. At this stage, it's a gamble.

As to what resort, it depends on what you are looking for. The village at Tremblant has everything--hotels, restaurants, bars, shops etc. There are facilities slope-side at Mont-Sainte-Anne but they are nothing compared to Tremblant. Le Massif, being in an eco-preserve, has a great lodge, but nothing else on site.

Unless you want to stay right on the mountain, my suggestion would be to stay in Québec City and drive to either Mont-Ste-Anne (30 min) or Le Massif (50 min). Then, if the skiing is not so great, you have all the attractions of that great city at your doorstep.