where to ski early april with kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and kids have never skied before. What resort has the best kids program with good conditions in early april?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 03:48 PM

Where do you live and how far are you willing to travel?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 06:25 PM

A good bet would be Snowbird/Alta. I can attest to the ski school at Snowbird, never took lessons at Alta. If at all possible, I would wait until as late as possible to plan as APril can be variable and it depends where you live. I live in CT and planned in advance to go to Utah last APril. We ended up getting pelted in the Northeast while I was out there, COuld've saved a lot of money and had better snow. Can't predict the weather, though... I hear Mammoth holds up well into the spring but I've never been.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:02 PM

Snowbird is a good suggestion---we have consistently had good skiiing there in early April. Mt. Bachelor, Oregon as well.

Mammoth was good at the top (11,000 feet elevation)when we were there for spring break a few years ago, but the lower slopes (where beginners would be) were bare or slushy. It does vary, though; in 2006, they got a huge dump of snow in early April.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:11 PM

Plenty of ski areas in Colorado stay open until mid-April, but no where in North America can you guarantee ultimate conditions in April. For instance, Colorado ski areas had record snow last year, but only up until mid-March, when the weather turned warm and dry and skiing got slushy. Other years have provided excellent spring skiing conditions. You just never know. The good thing is that you can probably wait until the last minute to decide where to go depending on conditions - it's not a popular time and you should find good deals on lodging.

If the conditions look favorable in March, places like Breckenridge and Keystone are great places for families learning to ski. Easy to get to, everything you need within convenient distance. These would be good places to investigate.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

I live in atlanta, and I have heard that snowbird due to its elevation tends to have better conditions in april. Will young 6 and 9 children have problems with altitude sickness?
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:57 AM

Children are not more prone to altitude sickness than adults are. The key is hydration - make sure everyone drinks lots of water before you arrive and when you get there. Children won't have to worry about drinking too much caffeine or alcohol either!
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:23 AM

The base at Snowbird is around 8200 feet, and the beginner areas are at about that level. Our children were not quite as young as yours when we started going there, but they have never had any problems.

I believe what tekwriter says is correct---children are not more prone to problems from the altitude. Lots of water is the key for everyone.

In addition to skiing there, we spend a week there every summer. The place is crawling with children of all ages, enjoying the activites. It's only the adults I hear complain (mostly when they are walking up steps).

One of the kids in our family group, age 8, hiked all the way to the top of the tram with the rest of us. We took it slowly, and he was fine---and very proud of himself!
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:37 AM

Altitude sickness is tough to guess at. I got sick at Park City at only 10.5k' peak and based <8k and was VERY hydrated and I'm in very good physical condition (but that doesn't really have anything to do with it). Knowing kids, they'll be fine and the parents will be dying!

I got sick the first night, felt a little groggy the second, and by day 4 I felt like I could light a cigar as I got off the tram at 11k'

Different people take differnt time to acclimate. I felt like a wuss as my wife was tearing it up with no effects.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Is the ski school at snowbird good for beginning children?
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:48 AM

Alta has the better ski school and terrain for beginners. Snowbird doesn't have much beginner or "green" terrain.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:55 AM

Isn't the "Chickadee" lift right by the Cliff Lodge the beginner lift at Snowbird?

In any case, if Alta has better terrain for first-timers, it is right up the road (one mile). A shuttle connects the two. You can base in either village, but the two have very different lodging styles---condos at Snowbird; all-inclusive hotels at Alta (at least for the slopeside accomodations).

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 09:36 AM

The Colorado skiing is at a really high altitude -- that may help the snow quality late in the season. The ones I'd consider are:

Aspen/Snowmass - new kids teaching center this season which is the best we've seen

Breckenridge - known for easy terrain and high altitude

Don't forget about Big Sky in Montana. Being further north may preserve the snow a bit longer.

http://www.familyskiresorts.net