Search

Single in the Canadian Rockies

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single in the Canadian Rockies

Hi,
I am planning a 10 day trip to the Candian Rockies this coming July. I am starting my vacation in Saettle with some girlfriends but wanted to go explore the Rockies by myself afterwards. Does anyone have any sugggestions? Are there any companies that cater to people travveling alone? I am 42 years old and just want an adventure. I heard Banft was really nice and would love to go rafting.Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:54 AM

Hi Lauren1160,

I'm wondering if you're including Vancouver in your itinerary. If you go to Seattle and skip Vancouver, you'll really miss out, in my opinion. I believe Vancouver deserves a visit, and a minimum of 3 days at that.

Since you'll be alone, I don't know whether or not you'd be interested in going on a tour. I've never gone on a long guided tour myself (only on guided day tours here and there, and even then not in the Rockies).

However, in doing a Google search, I found an interesting tour called "Rocky Mountain Rambler." At 12 days / 11 nights, the itinerary is longer than you may want. It does sound like fun, though. It promises to give you an opportunity to "day hike trails in six national and provincial parks, horseback ride through alpine meadows, canoe a glacier fed lake and ice walk on the Athabasca Glacier." Whitewater rafting is amongst the optional activities listed. One of the nice things about it is that it takes 15 passengers, which I think is a more intimate group size than you'll find on many other guided tours.

It's not cheap, but then it wouldn't be cheap to rent a car and travel on your own either.

Alternatively, you could fly from Seattle or Vancouver to Calgary and begin your Rocky Mountain adventure from here.

An Australian friend of mine, a woman in her early 40s, flew to Calgary and stayed with us. From here she caught a Brewsters bus that took her through Banff townsite and Lake Louise to Jasper in a day. She stayed at a Jasper B&B that she liked very much. Once she was there, she hired a guide to drive her around to local places of interest in a 4x4 vehicle. She said he told her a great deal about the history and ecology of the area, and they also were lucky enough to see several wild animals, including bears. I don't know who her guide was. She got his name from the tourist information office in Jasper. Then she returned to Calgary on the Brewsters bus again. That took her 4 days, and she enjoyed it a lot.

You could expand on the above scheme, and include stops in Lake Louise and Banff.

If you want to arrange whitewater rafting independently, here is a website that lists whitewater rafting operators in the Canadian Rockies:

http://www.canadianrockies.com/Tours...tures/Rafting/

If you do word searches for Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper and Calgary here on the Fodors Canada forum, you'll find loads of information about activities, accommodation and restaurants. This will help you to refine your questions.

Bon voyage.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:05 AM

Further to my Australian friend's vacation, I've just remembered that I also drove her on a separate day trip to Lake Louise, Moraine Lake and Banff townsite. These are great places, which I recommend you include if at all possible.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Dear Judy,
Thank you so much for your information.
The tour sounds very interesting and may be easier than getting lost driving around. Do you know where I can get information on the Rocky Mountain Rambler. It sounds great. Im not much of a hiker but just to be in beautiful scenery where it isnt 90 degrees in the summer should inspire me.The horseback riding and ice walk sound great. Is Vancouver included in this? I really appreciate your help.
I own a small hotel in the Florida Keys called Casa Morada. Let me know if you are ever travelling this way.
Best,
Lauren
Im not to concerned with the cost.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 10:48 AM

>>>>>>Do you know where I can get information on the Rocky Mountain Rambler.<<<<<<

Sorry, I forgot to provide the URL for this:

http://www.adventurelinktours.com/ad...es_rambler.htm

>>>>>>Is Vancouver included in this?<<<<<<<

No, while the tour appears to depart from, and return to, Vancouver, you would need to allow extra time to do sight seeing in Vancouver. I recommend a minimum of 3 days in Vancouver. If it was my vacation, I would be willing to shave the 3 days off the Rocky Mountains, if necessary, in order to devote them to Vancouver.

Another Google search brought up a tour that would allow you to do what I've just described, i.e., it would spring loose 3 of your 10 days to spend in Vancouver, as the Canadian Rockies tour lasts only 7 days. It accomplishes that partly by being a one way tour beginning in Vancouver and ending in Calgary, which is a slightly more efficient use of time than doing a round trip starting and ending in Vancouver.

http://www.affordabletours.com/Globu...es_Escape.html

This tour, offered by Globus, does not seem to be as action oriented as the Rocky Mountain Rambler tour mentioned earlier. However, I note it includes a free morning in Jasper, and you would be able to use that time for whitewater rafting if you liked.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Judy! I'll check them both out and let you know what I wind up doing.

I appreciate all your help. Im sure I will have more questions for you.

Lauren
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Hi Lauren

how did you enjoy your trip?