Shore Excursions with 4 yr Old

Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Shore Excursions with 4 yr Old

I'll be cruising to Halifax and Sydney with my mother (65 yrs) and my four year old son. There seem to be more choices than time in the Halifax area - since we'll only be there one day. And not much at all that might engage my pre-schooler in Sydney for our day there.

I was thinking of taking the Peggy's Express tour to Peggy's Cove(there by water, back by bus) in Halifax - or doing the Theodore Tugboat and the Trolley tour of Halifax.

I'm more perplexed about Sydney. Is the fortress worthwhile for this age child? It seemed the best option.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to say that we will be in the area the second week of September, in case there are festivals or other season specific events
Jun 22nd, 2005, 01:49 PM

Dear marellaruella, I am from the local area in sydney so I can tell you, during the second week in sept will be great to visit louisbourg. Wha t other options we you thing in sydney are you taking a ship tour or going by a private tour company for your trip. I would suggest to you that you take a tour company for a longer time in the fortress and your not on the busses time but on your own. In Halifax I would suggest to you to do the Theodore Tugboat & trolley tour. If you need to find out about private tour companys please emailme and I'll let you know who's down here. I hope this helps. believe me your young fella and your mom will be pleased with louisbourg.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 02:05 AM

Louisbourg would definitely interest a 4-year old. Lots of room to run as well as explore.

In Halifax, take him and your Mom on the Harbour Hopper Tour. Great way to see the city from both land and water. Your son will get a kick out of the splash into the Harbour. The Public Gardens would be a great spot to wander - your son will be able to feed the ducks. Sit on the library wall on Spring Garden and enjoy the fresh cut french fries while watching the sites. On Barrington, there is Discovery Centre and also the Freak Lunchbox (great candy store). On the waterfront by the Tourism Info Centre is a great playground in the form of a ship.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

The ship's tour to Louisbourg is 3.5 hrs long - it includes transportation from sydney - at a cost of $49 per adult.I'm not sure if there is a charge for the 4 yr old. Is there a better "local" option for the fortress?

This was the only excursion I thought was appropriate for him. If my mother would prefer, she could head out in the other direction with the ship's tour to Baddeck and the Alex Graham Bell House for the same price. If you could only choose one (and would likely never return to NS, what would you advise for her?)

We are in Sydney from 7am -6pm, Wed. 9/14.

We are in Halifax on Thursday 9/15, 9:30 am - 6 pm. There seemed to be several options locally, rather than taking the ship's tours. If you only had one day, would you stay in Halifax or go to Peggy's Cove? The Peggy's Cove Express indicated there would be puffin, whale and dolphin watching on the way to Peggy's Cove- but I wasn't sure if September was a good time of year for this.

Alternatively, as you'd noted - the Tug Boat and Trolley would be popular for both the young and old.

We are going to do the "duck tour" in Portland, Maine - which sounds pretty much like the Harbour Hopper so I was looking for something different
Jun 23rd, 2005, 10:59 PM

Your son would probably enjoy the Alexander Graham Bell Museum but maybe not the drive? Baddeck is a lovely spot and the museum very interesting. If there is a tour which takes you on the Cabot trail, that is the one your Mom should take.

As for seeing whales, puffins, etc. the 2nd week of September is probably a good time do to warmer waters. Guess it would depend on how rough the water is that time of year as well. Personally with a four year old, I would probably explore Halifax, and do the Tugboat tour of the Harbour. Not too exciting for you, but your little one will be impressed. Peggy's Cove is not somewhere he is able to run and the rocks can be very dangerous. You can also simply take the ferry across to the Dartmouth side. There is a playground there as well for kids.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 11:41 PM

Capebreton - I just wanted to say that we were on the New England Maritime cruise last year and saw some beautiful spots and lovely cities but nothing could compare with Sydney. The people are the highlight there! Whatever you do while in Sydney be sure there is enough time to just walk around town and enjoy the Cape Bretoners! They have to be the warmest and most welcoming people anywhere. The local residents shuttle passengers into town in their own cars - no charge and then give you a tour while they are at it. The market at the dock was great too. We bought most of our gifts to take back home there. I would go back at the drop of a hat.