Search

Shoes in Whistler and Orca watching

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2018, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoes in Whistler and Orca watching

Hi!!!

This is my second post about our trip! We are going on mid april to BC! This is our itinerary (we are renting a car until Vancouver!):
16-20 : Whistler (we are planning to take 3 days of skiing lessons hence the long stay)
20-25 Toffino/Ucluelet
25-27 Victoria
27-1: Vancouver

I just have some questions that I hope you could help me:
1. In Whistler we are renting skiing clothing. I was wondering if we need to bring snow boots to walk around the town of Whistler, or if our waterproof hiking boots will be enough.
Also, do you have some suggestions what we could do in the afternoon (if we still have energy after skiing classes!!). I was planning on going tubing for an afternoon, but dont have any ideas for the other days!
2. I know spring (or any month!) in BC has changing weather, so I was wondering: should we wait to make reservations for our tours (kayak, whale watching..) closer to our dates to choose dates that may be better weather based. Or you think it would be too late to find anything available if we do it a week earlier?
3. We are planning on taking a tour to see the hump back whales in Toffino. I have read it is not high season for Orcas, but that there is a chance for sightings, would you recommend also going on an orca whale trip maybe in Victoria? (I love whales so 2 tours wont be much, but wouldn't want to go if there will not be a chance to see them)

Thank you much for your help and tips will be appreciated!
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 09:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Mid April in Whistler either walking shoes or hiking boots will be fine; you likely won't need snow boots. Mid April the mountain will certainly be skiiable, but by then the major part of ski season is past and spring is getting near. You could have rain, sun, wet rain-snow mix, and even possibly a snowstorm. But you shouldn't have much snow to walk through in the village.
For historical weather averages in Whistler see https://weatherspark.com/y/1013/Aver...ada-Year-Round

Around here lots of people do lots of kayaking during spring - its a great sport for rainy weather. you'll likely get wet in any case regardless of the weather. If the kayaking is any place outside of the metropolitan areas you'll likely be in a wetsuit or dry suit or warm rain gear (the water will be cold), so a bit of rain shouldn't be a concern.