Notices

Seattle to Kelowna Drive Time?

Sep 27th, 2004, 10:17 AM
ALF
Original Poster

Seattle to Kelowna Drive Time?

This winter, we are thinking of heading over to Kelowna and Vernon to check out the skiing at Big White and Silverstar. How long does it take to drive to Kelowna from Seattle? Also, I have only driven Route 97 in the summertime - is it a reasonable road for driving in winter?

Thanks!
Sep 27th, 2004, 08:14 PM

It takes about 6 hours when the roads are good to get from Seattle to Kelowna. Don't take hwy 97 in the winter. it is slow and windy and not a divided hwy. Take I-5 north, cross into Canada at Sumas, and then take Hwy 1to Hope, go onto Hwy 5 north (called the Coquihalla Hwy), at Meritt take Hwy 97C (called the Coquihalla connector) to Kelowna. From Kelowna it takes about 1 hour to either Big White or Silverstar
Sep 29th, 2004, 07:12 PM

Vancouver to Kelowna - 4 hours minimum. If driving in winter conditions, expect longer times. Lots of spots where avalance conditions exist and potential for the highway being closed on the Coquihalla Hwy.
Oct 7th, 2004, 11:51 AM
ALF
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on driving to Kelowna. This brings me to something I've always wondered about: Why do I see cars with bumper stickers that say, "I've Driven (or Survived?) the Coquihalla Highway"?
Oct 11th, 2004, 08:08 AM

ALF,
I have done HWY 97 several times to ski at Apex. Great snow and not as "busy" as Silverstar or Big White. Slowest part of the trip in Winter is over Stevens Pass to 97.
Oct 11th, 2004, 10:38 AM

ALF,
They still have those I've Driven the Coquihalla Highway stickers? I thought they were a promotional thing handed out just after the highway opened.
Oct 13th, 2004, 11:43 PM
ALF
Original Poster

Well, I only see those stickers on old cars, so I don't think they are still given out.

Search this Thread