Search

Route needed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Route needed

I am going to Niagara falls and visiting the area called Niagara-on-the-lake. Would someone be able to give me directions to get from niagara-on-the-lakes via a scenic route to Oakville area in Toronto? Thanx.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 07:57 PM

What I normally do is take the scenic route to NOTL and the fast way back. The scenic route from Oakville is to drive west along Lakeshore Blvd to the QEW. Cross the bridge and continue south until you see a wine route sign or the exit to Fruitland. This will take you to Highway 8. Continue south and into St. Catherines. Drive down Lakeshore Road and South to Lakeport Road. Lakeport Road will get you across the canal. Continue south on Lakeport Road and into NOTL.

Here's a map.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...n&zipcode=

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 07:58 PM

Correction. You drive down Lakershore Road from St. Catherines to NOTL
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:57 AM

Hi Vasanthi;
We do the scenic route to and from NOTL all the time. We usually exit the QEW at Jordan Harbour (exit 55 I believe) and often stop for lunch in Jordan. (Follow the signage for Inn on the Twently/Cave Spring Cellars) There's a great little restaurant there for lunch (right beside the Inn on the Twenty) called Zooma Zooma. Neat shops to explore, as well as the winery. Look for a winery route map when you are there or check it out on their website. It's great for "getting off the beaten track".
http://winesofontario.org/

From Jordan, retrace your route, go over the highway and pick up the north service road. This meanders all along the lake and connects to Lakeshore Rd.

You will also come to Port Dalhousie, another possible stroll and lunch spot if the weather is nice. Once you leave Port Dalhouse keeping bearing left (north) This road will cross the Welland Canal at Port Weller and take you right into Niagara on the Lake. Lots of wineries enroute to explore!

If your'e looking for a lunch spot in NOTL I recommend the Epicurean on the main street, Great salads and sandwiches!

There are other routes but we try to avoid going through St. Catherines as it's tedious. You can try a different route going home -- follow the Niagara Parkway to Niagara Falls, drive up Clifton Hill and turn onto Lundy's Lane (left at the top of the hill) This eventually becomes Hwy 20. You can follow it to Hwy 406 then head north and pick up the QEW to Toronto.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies. I should have mentioned that I will be going to NOTL from the US side as am driving down from New hampshire to visit my brother & cousins for the Canadian Thanxgiving in Oakville. But this will help too. Thanx a lot.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 06:05 PM

You are probably already here but I will add some thoughts. I would stick to the QEW until you get to the Burlington Bridge, then get off onto the Lakeshore which might be called North Shore Boulevard. Then take the Lakeshore east along past all the lovely houses until you arrive in Oakville. Some of the other suggestions will take forever!