Rocky Mountains

Old Aug 16th, 1998, 04:48 AM
Vered

Rocky Mountains

My friend and me are planning a trip of five days to the Rocky Mountains, stating at Vancouver. We would really like to get some information regarding available means of transportation in the region (including approximate costs, if available). We are also interested in suggestions for places to see along the way.
Thanks a lot,
Vered.

Old Aug 16th, 1998, 03:34 PM
Bob Brown

I have visited BC several times, having traversed the province from east to west and reverse three times.

I presume that you will be travelling by car from Vancouver. If you are not, then please realize that my perspectives are all from automobile travel. If you are not using an automobile, I suggest you locate a good package tour.

When you say "Rocky Mountains", could you be a little more specific? Technically, the Rocky Mountains per se end with the Columbia River Valley and the Kootney. Farther west, the mountains ranges such as the Purcells, Selkirks, Monashees, etc, are not geologically speaking "The Rockies".

BC is a very hilly province, with range after range of mountains. Except for the northeast corner and the Fraser River Valley, the Columbia Valley, and the Okanagan, there is not much flat ground in the entire province.

The province is also huge, so 5 days will go fast. Email me and give me a little more detail on what you like to see. My tastes run to the mountains.
But not every one wants that.

My favorite places are along the Alberta - BC border, particularly the Icefields Parkway that runs from Lake Louise to Jasper, Lake Louise itself, and
Yoho National Park, just over the Great Divide in BC.

If mountains are not your thing, then you could easily spend 5 days in the Vancouver and Victoria areas seeing the city sights.

Old Aug 16th, 1998, 03:34 PM
Bob Brown

I have visited BC several times, having traversed the province from east to west and reverse three times.

I presume that you will be travelling by car from Vancouver. If you are not, then please realize that my perspectives are all from automobile travel. If you are not using an automobile, I suggest you locate a good package tour.

When you say "Rocky Mountains", could you be a little more specific? Technically, the Rocky Mountains per se end with the Columbia River Valley and the Kootney. Farther west, the mountains ranges such as the Purcells, Selkirks, Monashees, etc, are not geologically speaking "The Rockies".

BC is a very hilly province, with range after range of mountains. Except for the northeast corner and the Fraser River Valley, the Columbia Valley, and the Okanagan, there is not much flat ground in the entire province.

The province is also huge, so 5 days will go fast. Email me and give me a little more detail on what you like to see. My tastes run to the mountains.
But not every one wants that.

My favorite places are along the Alberta - BC border, particularly the Icefields Parkway that runs from Lake Louise to Jasper, Lake Louise itself, and
Yoho National Park, just over the Great Divide in BC.

If mountains are not your thing, then you could easily spend 5 days in the Vancouver and Victoria areas seeing the city sights.

Old Sep 8th, 1998, 11:51 AM
Pennie

Hi Vered.
I too am planning a trip to the Rocky Mountains, and would appreciate exchanging ideas. Are you interested?
Pennie

Old Sep 9th, 1998, 08:09 AM
Paul Rabe

For information on bus travel throughout Canada, check out
www.greyhound.ca