Search

Return flight ticket cheaper than One Way

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2016, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Return flight ticket cheaper than One Way

Hi Guys,
I was buying a one way ticket to Canada. But for some reason Turkish Airlines shows me a 30% cheaper price if I choose the option of round trip, compared to if I choose oneway only.
The round trip includes the same exact times/flights as the oneway.
Doesn't really make sense to me.

So I was thinking of just buying the return ticket, and obviously I won't be boarding it going outside of Canada, I will just be using the return flights.
Would that cause any issues for me?
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 10:17 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
It isn't clear to me, when you say "I will just be using the return flights" which direction you plan to use. But here's the deal - if you want to fly the first direction, fine, although don't tell the airline as it's against the rules. But if you don't get on the first flight of the itinerary, the return flight will be cancelled. So the one you plan to use must be the first.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 05:11 AM

If you are not a Canadian citizen or resident, then you will likely be violating Canadian law by entering the country on a round-trip ticket but not leaving. Even if you leave before your visa expires, you'd be filing a false document with the government (i.e., a round-trip ticket that suggests you'll be leaving the country at a particular time). I'm not sure how closely Canada monitors such things, but it could result in the cancellation of your visa. But if you're a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, they simply will not care.

The second issue is that this violates the airline's contract of carriage, but the only real issue for you is that you will not be getting any frequent flier miles for the flight (assuming you would). If you buy the ticket from a travel agent, the agent can be fined and forced to pay the fare difference, but that's not really possible for a person.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 10:17 AM

Agreed with the responses provided.

It is VERY risky to only try to use the second leg of a ticket. As mentioned, if you don't board the first flight, they will cancel the rest of the ticket. It only works if you fly to your destination, but don't use the return portion of the ticket.

So in your case, no it won't work.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 10:32 AM

Well, I think it might work, if by "I will just be using the return flights" means returning to Canada on the 1st flight and not using the 2nd half. It's hard to tell.

Once, but long ago, my husband and I had RT flights bought. Then he decided to drive ahead of the planned flights and return with me on the second leg of the trip. That's when we discovered the 2nd flight cancelled rule. However, and I stress the "long ago" mention, after begging a supervisor at check-in, she relented and reinstated his flight home. But I seriously doubt anything of the sort would happen these days. But they'd be glad to sell a high-priced-last-minute-one-way ticket, space on the flight permitting.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 12:15 PM

I may be misreading the OP, but I read this as he/she is in Turkey and wants to buy a one-way ticket to Canada but it's expensive. So instead, he/she wants to purchase a round-trip and use only the portion TO Canada (not returning to Turkey). So it's not a situation where the actual return ticket is not used; the OP is "returning" to Canada and, thus, using that portion. I could be wrong because the wording is confusing.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 12:38 PM

Yes, Doug, I digressed, but I think the first leg is the one actually wanted. And, I admit, I'd be inclined to do it, too.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi guys,
Thank for all the responses.
To clarify, I wanted to buy a one way ticket to Canada. But found a cheaper round trip ticket, first leg leaving Canada and second trip entering Canada.
I was thinking I can just board the second leg, without utilising the first leg.

But like you guys mentioned, I won't be able to do that. If I don't board the first leg of the trip, they will cancel the second leg flights or make me pay super expensive last minute tickets.

So I'll be buying the more expensive one way tickets.
Thanks guys, appreciate the responses!
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 04:02 PM

Wait a minute! Can't you just buy the ticket the other way around? First leg entering Canada, the way you want to go?
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 02:43 PM

Part of the issue is the term "return". Which simply means round trip and NOT the return segment of a round trip ticket.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 02:59 PM

But I think even more confusing, I believe by return the OP simply means they're returning to Canada, not anything to do with RT or return segment meaning of the word.