Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Restaurants for breakfast on the road from Montreal to Quebec

Sep 9th, 1999, 08:45 AM
Mary

My husband and I are driving from Montreal to Quebec on Sunday, 9/19/99. We actually do not know which way we are going as of yet. But, does anyone know of a good restaurant for breakfast on the way? If you could tell me the location, it would be helpful. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Sep 9th, 1999, 08:01 PM
leechase

Hi Mary,
If you want a quick breakfast....a bagel and great coffee, stop at any Tim Horton's. A very favurite place in Canada...you'll see them everywhere.
Lee

Sep 10th, 1999, 07:24 AM
Mary

Thanks anyway Lee, but I was actually looking for a nice, leisurely, delicious breakfast, not a 7-Eleven-type place. A nice country place to eat (I don't know even know if we go through country or city type places). Anyway, that's what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Sep 11th, 1999, 10:24 PM
Mary

You fool, you. You "dont't know which way you are going"??? Sshame on you... Tim Horton's is an excellent recommendation. Too bad for you. If you think anyone else may respond with a better idea after this - forget it!

Sep 11th, 1999, 10:26 PM
Ralph

Are you out of your mind? Find your own breakfast...Buy a tour guide, call the tourist information center, eat your bloody breakfast and whereever you're staying...NUTS to YOU! Especially if you have not idea "where you're going". What a bum...

Sep 12th, 1999, 12:24 PM
Susan

I've got to respond to this. I can't believe the responses in the previous 2 notes. These people are harsh! Nasty.

Unfortunately I don't any suggestions. I don't know that part of the country at all. I agree Tim Hortons is everywhere, but it is fast food - not the kind of place to linger over. I hope somebody can come up with a suggestion for you, Mary.

Sep 13th, 1999, 07:12 AM
Mary

First of all, to: Ralph ([email protected]), (I first e-mailed him this message to him directly so not to embarrass him, but it came back undeliverable - what a coward - he couldn't even put his correct e-mail address!). What is your problem? The whole idea of this "Forum" is to ask questions. That is the point of a "Forum." As to you're statement that I don't know "where I'm going," that is not what I said! I said I did not know "WHICH WAY" we are going as of yet! If you knew aything at all, you'd know that there are more ways than one to drive from Montreal to Quebec. Next time mind your own business. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

Second, regarding the message that says: You fool, you. You "dont't know which way you are going"??? Sshame on you... Tim Horton's is an excellent recommendation. Too bad for you. If you think anyone else may respond with a better idea after this - forget it!
This message is obviously also from Ralph ([email protected]) (notice the times of the messages).

Finally, to Susan ([email protected]): Thank you anyway. You understand what I mean when I say a 'nice place for breakfast.' Thank you for your input and your kind words.

Sep 13th, 1999, 10:39 AM
leechase

Mary, Since I was the one who originally suggested Tim Horton's, I feel I must respond. I was kind of glad that Ralph responded as he did. You are missing are real Canadian experience if you miss out on Tim Horton on some part of your trip. Although I realize that you want a nice country breakfast, I was a bit offended to have you compare Tim Horton's with a 7 Eleven. You obviously aren't familiar with Tim Horton's. They aren't the same thing at all.

Sep 13th, 1999, 10:48 AM
Mary

I do not believe that hostility was necessary. When I responded to you I was courteous and I said thank you. You were kind enough to respond and I appreciated it. I cannot help it if your answer was not what I was looking for. Tim Horton's sounded to me like it was a 7-Eleven, I guess because you said we'll see them everywhere. My apologies to Mr. Horton.

Sep 15th, 1999, 06:10 AM
Curt

Sadly, it will be impossible to pass the apology on to Mr Horton, as he has gone to the great hockey rink in the sky.

Sep 15th, 1999, 07:22 PM
Donna

Our favorite place for a truly elegant breakfast is Cafe Paris at the Ritz Hotel. I'm not sure what their schedule is on Sundays, but I believe they serve breakfast early and set up Sunday brunch later on. The room is spectacular, especially during the nice weather when the garden is open where you can enjoy your breakfast next to a pond - with ducks...Another favorite of ours is the deck at Thursdays, which overlooks Cresent Street. I believe Sunday brunch begins early here (and continues until mid afternoon). The food is wonderful (huge fruit tray is complimentary) and the views on Crescent Street are gorgeous. Great spot for watching the passing parade. Another fine place for breakfast is Place Jacques Cartier. Many places serve breakfast. Best is to walk around, peruse the menus, peek inside (again, many have beautiful terraces). Or, you could go to Eggspectations (famous and very popular). Huge portions (crepes a specialty), plenty of fresh fruit, eclectic ambience. Two locations (198 rue Laurier and the corner of Maisonneuve and Cresent). They are very, very busy though, and often there's quite a wait. If you'd like pastries and coffee, rather than a huge breakfast, La Brioche Lyonnais could not be more charming (or have finer pastries and breads). It's located on St-Denis between Maisonneuve and Emery. Stone walls, lace curtains, gorgeous terrace out back in the nice weather, terrific for relaxing and/or lingering. There are several other charming bakery/cafes going northwest on St. Denis. One roasts its own coffee and the aroma is intoxicating. It would be impossible to recommend something "on the way" not knowing which way you are going. Be sure to call ahead when you decide and check Sunday hours. If none of these suggestions meets your requirements, you might want to stop by the visitor's bureau and pick up the Resto Guide. Extensive, detailed listing of dozens of wonderful choices (with photos). Many are on the way to Quebec City, depending upon which way you go. Some look utterly charming. The staff there is very helpful as well. And, be sure to check with the concierge at your hotel.