restaurant with great mountain views not too far from Calgary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If we were willing to drive no more than 30 minutes from calgary, could we find a nice restaurant with a GREAT view of mountains to eat our first night? We are staying at the Radisson upon flying in at 4, and will do the Royal Tyrell Museum the next day before driving to Canmore. A great view for drinks and a meal the first evening would be great. How late will it stay light on July 31?

scottyp
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 01:45 PM

Calgary Tower?
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 03:03 PM

Save the mountain view for when you visit Canmore. Eat downtown.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 04:42 PM

I agree with both rkkwan and Binthair, which may sound contradictory.

If you <b>insist</b> on a mountain view, the Calgary Tower is your best option, actually the only option that I know of.

However, while the restaurant at the top of the tower is quite acceptable, it does not come close to providing the best value for money in Calgary. Actually I have yet to meet the moving restaurant (revolving tower, boat, train, etc.) that does.

If you want a restaurant that provides excellent value for money, try La Luna Rossa at the corner of 14th Street and 8th Avenue NW. It does not have a view at all, but its Italian cuisine is excellent. It's a popular place, and reservations are essential. It's in a neighbourhood in which parking is difficult to find. It's good to know that the restaurant has parking in the back. The parking lot is not obvious to the passerby, so ask for instructions on how to access it. La Luna Rossa's menu has some expensive options but, if you choose carefully, you can have a delicious meal for a moderate price.

Two expensive restaurants that have pleasant views (but not mountain views) are River Cafe (which is located on Prince's Island at the north end of downtown Calgary) and La Caille on the Bow, at the west end of downtown Calgary.

If you want a moderately priced but good restaurant near the Radisson, I recommend Joey Tomato's near the corner of Barlow Trail and 32nd Avenue NE. It's a chain restaurant, but a pleasant establishment nonetheless. It does not have a view, though.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 06:31 PM

Calgary doesn't really have views. It does, however, have wonderful people and very good food. I would echo one of Judy's suggestions and suggest the River Cafe for your first night. No mountain view but it is located in a beautiful park just off the river and the food is fabulously western Canadian and very seasonal. My several visits there have been my most memorable in Calgary. The atmostphere is very relaxed yet somehow you are sure from the service, the setting and the menu that you are in very good hands. IMO, the food is some of the best in Canada and you can't go wrong there.

http://www.river-cafe.com/index.php