Search

Restaurant suggestions.....

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2003, 06:10 PM
mjz
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurant suggestions.....

We will be in Vancouver from July 2nd to July 7th staying at the Westin Grand. I'm looking for suggestions from locals or past visitors on some great places to eat.
1) Chinese (region/style does not matter)
2) Indian
3) Seafood
4) Italian

Also, a restaurant suggestion in Victoria would be nice as we are going over for a day.
Price is not a concern

Thanks in advance!
Matt
Old May 6th, 2003, 09:31 PM

Visit this webpage! http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/dc80f/2/#T It has recommendations on everything from where to eat to where not to wander around late at night. Warning, there is so much information on this website you might spend hours looking!
Enjoy your trip...please email me you get back and let me know what you liked/disliked. I'll be there in September.
Old May 6th, 2003, 10:15 PM

For Victoria I can recommend the following. If I haven't eaten ther I know someone who has and all the restaurants come highly recommended. Chinese: Szechuan Restaurant - 853 Caledonia St., Mings Restaurant - 1321 Quadra St. Indian: Da Tandoor Restaurant - 1010 Fort St., Taj Mahal - 679 Herald St. Seafood: Chandlers - 1250 Wharf St.,Nautical Nellies - 1001 Wharf St. Italian: Il Terrazzo - 555 Johnson St., Villa Rosa - 1015 Fort St. All are within walking distance of downtown Victoria, some walks longer than others, but you won't be disappointed. Enjoy!!
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:44 AM

sorry-something is screwy with this site today..and it posted before I finished. Italianiccolo Mondo. We are also thinking about the Rain CIty Grill.

In Victoria while I cannot suggest a good place to eat..I wil suggest you absolutely take in the Royal Museum and especially The First Peoples exhibit. This exhibit includes a long house and many artifacts of the various cultures. It is a great introduction to Pacific NW Native People. You can also check out the Antropology Museum at University of British Columbia in Vancouver for some the same.
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:46 AM

And..then it did not post the beginning message..so we are planning a trip to include Vancouver in mid September and have started doing some research on restaurants including talking with folks who frequent BC..for Indian:Vij's For Seafood:Joe Fortes(although check out The Rain CIty Grill Menu on line as well)
Old May 30th, 2003, 08:58 AM

hi miz. Best Italian would be Il Giardino. Its like you're sitting in an Italian garden, and the food is to die for. Cin Cin on Robson is amazing food, go there for celebrity watching, quite a well known place. The other best Italian is called Bravo Cucina in North Vancouver. Excellent and affordable, and you can walk down to Lonsdale Quay afterwards and walk on the seawall. Seafood is everywhere...I recommend Monk Mcqueens, right on the water. Sit on the deck if its nice out. Upstairs is more formal, downstairs is an oyster bar and fun. Have eaten there a lot and its great. Upstairs is beautiful. They have a piano player serenade you whilst sitting outside on the heated patio and gazing at the gorgeous ocean.
Best Chinese is a little hole in the wall on Denman St. (just before Davie) upstairs. Can't remember the name. There are a few tables in there, but the food is unbelievable. You could get takeout and walk to the beach which is about 15 feet away.
enjoy
Barb
Old May 30th, 2003, 01:21 PM

Also check out http://www.chowhound.com/canada/boar...da/canada.html That is where I found out that Joe Fortes is coasting on his PAST reputation. No one really likes it there anymore. There is a thread near the top called "Places You Wanted to Love but...."
Old May 30th, 2003, 05:44 PM

amygirl (or anybody else), we're in Victoria for two nights (June 13-14) staying at the Magnolia, taking relatives to tea at the Empress (unless I hear another suggestion) and looking for a grandslam place for dinner on the 14th (we intend to go light on the 13th after the tea). Any suggestions for the 14th? 60th birthday and all that. We'll have done big Italian and seafood in Vancouver, so anything else? Any comments on the Magnolia? And in Vancouver, we're scheduled to stay at the Terminal City Tower Hotel. Any comments there? Many thanks.

DES