Reload this Page >

Restaurant near Lion King Theatre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Libby

We are visiting Toronto in December and are going to see The Lion King at the Princess of Wales Theatre one evening. Please can someone recommend a restaurant nearby, we would like to go somewhere special, as we will be celebrating my Mums 60th birthday.<BR>Many Thanks

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 06:13 PM
al

You didn't specify a budget or cuisine preference, so here are some recommendations. You can check these and other restaurants at torontolife.com.<BR><BR>Expensive<BR>Avalon, 270 Adelaide West - one of Toronto's best<BR><BR>Moderate<BR>Solo Grill - 391 King West<BR><BR>Inexpensive<BR>Il Fornello - 214 King West

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 06:25 PM
JCD

I agree with the recommendation for Avalon. Expensive but well worth it. Excellent food, service and atmosphere.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Brian Kilgore

It would be a real shame to rush a meal at Avalon in order to get to the theatre by curtain time, so make your reservation for an early time.<BR><BR>Avalon is two short blocks north of the theatre, so it is only a couple of minutes walk from dinner to entertainment.<BR><BR>There are another dozen good to excellent restaurants within two blocks; any firmer idea of budget of your mother's favorite foods?<BR><BR>BAK

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:00 AM
Libby

Thanks everyone for your replies.<BR><BR>I would like to go somewhere with a nice atmosphere and nice food but not too extravagant (I'm paying !!!) so say approx 40 dollars a head.<BR><BR>Mum likes all food, I fancied a Bistro type place with a varied menu, having never been to Canada before I'm not really sure what kind of restaurants are popular.<BR><BR>Show starts at 8pm.<BR><BR>We are staying at Cambridge Suites if that helps, is this near the theatre ?<BR><BR>Thanks again

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Paula

Libby, I understand that the Cambridge Suites is a lovely hotel. It is not in the theatre district so not what I would describe as &quot;near the theatre&quot;. However, it is in the downtown core so its just a short subway or cab ride away from the theatre.<BR><BR>As for restaurants, I recommend Le Select Bistro. This restaurant isn't within the immediate area of the theatre, however, it is within a short walk. Le Select has great bistro atmosphere (just like Paris only without the cigarette smoke! ) and very good food and service. It should also fall within your price range - the &quot;prix fixe&quot; menu is good value. Over the years, my husband and I have happily celebrated many an anniversary and birthday at Le Select.<BR><BR>www.leselect.com<BR><BR>Enjoy!

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Typhoon

I am going to save you the trouble of taking more suggestions and concur with all those recommended. <BR><BR>You would do fine with any of them.<BR><BR>Happy Birthday to your Mom

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Maureen

We stayed at the Cambridge Suites this summer and loved it! Took the subway to the theater to see Lion King. Fabulous show - easy ride on subway! <BR> Maureen

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Brian Kilgore

Libby, and Maureen if you're still reading ...<BR><BR>I've been puzzled about taking the subway from the Cambridge Suites to the Princess of Wales Theatre. I can't quite figure out how to do it so it's an advantge.<BR><BR>So, for what it is worth ...<BR><BR>But, if I did want to take public trasit, and I was starting out at 15 Richmond Street East, which makes it pretty much at the corner of Richmond and Yonge, here are a couple of options.<BR><BR>You could walk two blocks south on Yonge Street to King Street. King East is on one side of Yonge, and King West is on the other side.<BR><BR>Instead of getting on the subway from the stop at the intersection, get on a westbound street car, which will take you a few blocks west. If you get off one stop west of Universiyt AVenue (University is an extra wide stteret that you are sure to notice) you'll be at Il Fornello, if that's the restaurant you choose. After dinner, just walk two blocks west and you are at the theatre.<BR><BR>If, instead, you really wanted to take the subway, youcould walk one block north from the hotel to Queen Street and Yonge Street, get on a southbound subway and go to the bottom of the route and then continue back north (it is a U-shaped subway route) to the St.. Andrews station, whcih is at the corner of King and University. Get off here and either walk west as per above (you'll just walk one extra block and then pass the streetcar stop mentioned abocvve, Il Fornello, and then you'll just walk two more blocks to the theatre.<BR><BR>Or, once off the subway at St. Andrews, you could use a free transfer (pick it up from the red machines inside the subway station before you get on the subway train), and get on a westbound King Street streetcar. (The same one you could get on at Yonge and King if you skipped the subeway.)<BR><BR>If you want to go to Le Select (which is my favorite of the suggestions above)<BR>via public transit, just leave the hotel, walk to Yonge Street, turn right/north and walk to Queen Street and Yonge. Cross Queen to the north-east corner and get on a westbound street car. A few stops past extra-wide University, get off at Peter Street, and walk part of a block further west to Le Select.<BR><BR>After dinner, walk east to Queen &amp; John (about 2- 3 blocks dependingon which side of the Queen St. you aree walking on) and turn right/south so you pass the SEcond Cup, heading toward Chapters. Cross Richmond, then Adelaide, and go one more block to King, and you are at the theatre. <BR><BR>Cash fare for subway or streetcar is $2.25, and you need exact change.<BR><BR>And, for walking...<BR><BR>The Princess of Wales Theatre is two blocks south on Yonge (Richmond to Adelaide to King) and 5 blocks west on King, past Bay Street, York Street, University Avenue, Simcoe Street --now you pass Il Fornello -- across Duncan, and then along that block to the thretre, which is at the west end of the block)<BR><BR>If it is cold, you can do most of the walk underground, but it's longer, through the halls of the underground shopping beneath the giant office buildings.<BR><BR>And, $40 may be a bit low. I read some mid-priced menus last night on my way to the train station. Appetizer $5-7, salad $4-6, main courses $15-20, dessert (it is a special night) $10 split onto two plates, so let's say $5, coffee or tea for two bucks, and then add thirty percent for the two taxes and a reasonable tip.<BR><BR>That's without wine, but assuming you have the 'extras' before, because that's just what people do at birthday dinners.<BR><BR>Regardless, have fun, and you'll eat well for less than a buck-a-year for mom, considering she's sixty.<BR><BR>If you brought a century old granny with you, why you could really eat well for a hundred dollars each.<BR><BR>BAK

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Maureen

I certainly agree with Brian that walking to the theater is also easy. Toronto is a really walkable city - blocks are much closer than you think. Wish I were going back!!