Relocating to Toronto

Old May 21st, 2007, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relocating to Toronto

Hi Everyone,

I've scanned this site for awhile and due to the helpful responses I've decided to join and see if anyone can provide me with inner perspective of Toronto (surrounding areas).

I'm planning on relocating to Toronto (surrounding areas), besides the standard 'fun' stuff of finding a job, a place to live and all the other necessities ( which I may inquire about later), I'm wondering about the community.

I've been to Toronto before, but as a visitor (I may visit again in 1st of June weekend). Each city has a different look from the standpoint of a tourist. So knowing I'll plan to be there for a while, I would like viewpoints of the vibe of Ontario.

I'll be coming from Montreal, and I like things that are off the beaten path, more NewYorkish less Boston, which still shadows TO in some ways.

I'm a visual minority female. I like diversity, meeting people, discussion etc. Not into main stream 24/7, sometimes but not all the time.

There is Now magazine, that I've noticed ... is this a good starter for a new resident?
I've also read about TAPintoTO, a visitors guide to Toronto, any feedback ?

Thanks
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:32 PM
nbujic

You sound like a downtown kind of person.
The diversity in the city is amazing - people from the 4 corners of the world.
What community did you have in mind?

I am not sure Now is the best guide - it may depend on your age and taste.
Take a look at the Net.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply nbujic.

What community? Humm good question. It's ranges and hard to define. Each community has a level of convergence. I like alternative, rock, dub reggae and some blues and south american. I also like obscure out of ordinary movies. I have some polical interests as well, plus events and projects. Exercise community. This more or less sums it up.

So it's hard for me to name a community it's more of finding the 'right' community. The one(s) that will fit right?

Hope I making sense here?

Why would you say Now may not be the best guide? Your perspective can shed some light.

Thanks
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:35 AM
nbujic

hi,
I was not sure of your age and interest; some older people my find Now a bit too "hip", but it might be a good guide for
what you are interested in. When in TO check out Queen St. West , College and Bloor west of Spadina.
good luck !

Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:19 PM
BAK

Bidget. And what kind of visible minority?

Want to be with other Haitians? Need to be inLittle India?

BAK
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:08 PM
BAK

A low priced one bedroom apartment is around $900, rising.

Be careful of neighborhoods -- there's no point in worrying about walkinghome ast ten PM.

With that in miond, downtown is a better bet thant he suburbs.

There's a lot to be said in Toronto to getting your job first, and then choosing a home near it.

My daughter spent an hour and a half on a bus, subway, and another bus to and from work on a six month assignment.

She's changed jobs, and lives and works in the heart of downtown, walking to work.

GO Trains are similar to the MOntreal commuter trains. From Oakville, for instance, assume $200 a month. Toronto transit pass is $100 a month. Add these together, and some of the savings of bing away from downtown disappear.

Miossissauga, Markham, Whitby, Oshawa, and other pplaces are diffent municipalitis, meaning added transit fares. Toronto, Scarborough, Etobicoke, East York, North York are all part of the big City of Toronto, and one ransit fare.

Downtown, near the lake, is packed with new condos, most of which are good places to live if your budget permits.

BAK
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Great !!

Thanks for the replies, the answers offer insight websites can not.

BAK: I'm Afro-Canadian ( as oppose to being Afro American, west indian descent, however my interest to be involved in a diverse community doesn't mean I want to be with 'only' West Indian residents.

Thanks for the tidbit about the different municipalities I really though Oswaha for was part of GTA, worth reconsidering especially with the fares.

Nbujic: I checked out NOW mag, seems like Montreal's equivalent The Mirror, my style. Not too sure about the age issue.. I'm in thirties, I guess old for some perhaps, but it's a number that's all.

Yes I do agree the need to find employment first and work around that, which is my plan I currently requesting my older silblings to ask their friends in Ontario if I can stay with them for a while (pay for accommodations) thus remove the worry about rent for now.

So it does seem downtown maybe the target.

Thanks
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:30 AM

Hi, if you can stay with friends for a while or find a sublet downtown it's preferable. Then you can find a job and really explore the city to help you decide where you want to live.

I may get in trouble for this opinion but Oshawa is not Toronto, neither is Markham or Etobicoke. All have their own charms I'm sure but it is not at all like living downtown.
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:34 AM
LJ

You might want to start your search in the Annex: this is a downtown area near the University of Toronto with lots of young people and the scene (clubs, movies, restauants, bars and apartments) that accompany that demographic. I work here and we are planning to get an apartment here-not that we are that young, just newly empty-nesters that like the vibe that comes with a university community.
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:00 AM

"I may get in trouble for this opinion but Oshawa is not Toronto, neither is Markham or Etobicoke"

You won't get in trouble for it, but Etobicoke IS part of Toronto--not downtown Toronto admittedly, but Toronto nonetheless.
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:05 AM
BAK

About the Annex... this is quite a neighborhood wioth all kinds of attrractions. It's adjacent to the University of Toronto, and has lots of rentals. Everything from single rooms to entire houses, b but they all fill up as September gets close, with students and visiting teachers. So move fast.

bAK
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Yeah I heard about the Annex, worth considering.

My cousin may be able to arrange my stay with her for a while until things are settle, hopefully. That would take alot of stress off.

Thanks for the advice.