Recomend trails for children in Rockies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My kids aged 6 & 7 will be in Rockies in June.

Please recomend trails that would be of interesting to them.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 04:24 PM
BAK

I think this is an unnecessary degree of planning.

You'll come across places that the kids will like, easy enough for them to walk on, so don't worry. there are lots of interesting palces, from the grounds of the Chateau Lake Louise and Banff Springs Hotels to places where you can just stop along the road and the kids can explore a river bed.

But, on the other hand....

Do plan to take them to the zoo in Calgary, and also to heritage park, which is a reconstructed town from pioneer days.

And if you learn about small town rodeos, take the chioldren. The small town rodeos are better for kids, i think, becaue thekids can get close to the cowboys and the horses and the other interesting things that are not available to see, up close, at the Calgary Stampede.

BAK

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:26 PM

The whole of the Canadian Rockies should be of interest to your kids. The entire place is an ecosystem. I can't think of a single bit of it that's boring.

Your kids probably will enjoy exploring and playing in their own way, as BAK said. You can, if you like, point things out while you're walking. Things like the fact that some north facing and thus shaded spots still have snow on them, while south facing and therefore sunlit spots are clear of snow. Things like the fact that moss is growing on the north facing, shaded sides of trees. Stuff like that.

One important point to tell your kids is that, if they get separated from you, they should stay where they are as soon as they realize they're lost. I'm sure you'll keep a watchful (but hopefully not paranoid) eye on your kids, and it's unlikely that they'd get lost. But things like that do happen occasionally. It's much easier for search parties to find a child who stays in one spot than to find a child who wanders around.

One of my sons somehow got separated from the rest of his class during a 5 day nature study expedition at a foothills camp when he was in grade two. When a member of the search party found him a couple of hours later, he was sitting on a fallen log in a clearing in the forest. His teacher later relayed to me the conversation that the rescuer and my son had. The rescuer asked him if he was hurt, and he said, "No." Then she asked him if he'd been scared, and he said, "No, I wasn't scared. I knew it wouldn't be a good advertisement for the camp if they lost a kid, so I knew grown ups would look for me."
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:53 PM

I think you should go elsewhere.
The best ones are too dangerous.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 06:07 PM

Bob, that's a joke, right?

The other posters have noted that the Rockies are an amazing ecosystem.
Even if the 'trail' is along the edge of a picnic area there are countless 'small wonders' for kids that age to discover and explore.

Judy's point was very good in suggesting that you point out few interesting bits and pieces - I'm sure the kids will find plenty on their own and have lots of questions.

Have fun.

Jerry
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 01:25 PM
ltt

some easy enjoyable treks:
johnson's canyon in banff
hike up to the falls along the river from banff townsite.
hoodoos in banff
malign canyon in jasper
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 01:45 PM

I think Bob Brown is kidding or at least I hope so. There are plenty of "safe" trails for kids to enjoy in Rockies. There is always a real mixture of people there, from couples with young children to elderly people taking in the scenery. It is by no means unsafe to take your children to the Rockies.

The safety tips are important though, nonetheless.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:06 AM
Doh

There's a book called "walks and easy hikes in the canadian rockies" you might want to track down.

Another nice, easy walk in Banff is from the townsite to the hot springs (Cave & Basin). The walk around Emerald Lake and the walk alongside Moraine Lake are both nice and flat, although I'm not sure if they are too long.

The short climb among the rocks at Moraine Lake and the very short walk to Takkakaw Falls would probably be fun.