Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

child friendly activities near Ramstein AFB

Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

My son jst arrived ar Ramstein a few weeks ago. His wife is looking for day trip activities that they could do with my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter. They just don't think that touring castles is going to fascinate her. Any ideas?
Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:57 AM

What's going to fascinate a 2 1/2 year old is:

other little kids

playgrounds

petting zoos

some sort of boat ride (like a rowboat on a lake)

Just like at home.

If your son is on the base aren't there facilities for families there? And can't he check with other people who have kids as to where they take them?
Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:04 PM

Yes i think other famlies on the base will be best resourse. Frankly I don't think they should plan on doing much, as noted 2 1/2 yr olds don't need much more then a local playground to amuse them. Find out about local lakes and parks, not big tourist sites ( which are never that much fun with little ones who don't like line ups or crowds)or your son and DIL should just decide to see what facinates THEMSELVES and work a slow easy schedule for the little one, kids like being with their parents most of all.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:02 PM

Ditto with the above posts. Also, nearby Kaiserslautern has a nice zoo with a playground and adventure trail for kids. In Landstuhl there is a great ice cream parlor, the sign simply says "ICE." My kids liked the Pizza ice cream concoction and of course the spaghetti ice cream.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:17 PM

Hi Abram,

If your son and daughter in law want to see castles, they should check out some of the many castle ruins in the area. Your granddaughter can run around in the big open spaces and climb on some of the rocks. Our first time in Germany, we had two preschoolers, and they loved doing stuff like that.

There's the Gartenschau in Kaiserslautern, which is a lovely park with lots of dinosaur statues. In Mannheim, about 45 minutes down the A6, there's Luisenpark which has playgrounds, animals, and a fun little boat ride....bring crumbs to feed the fish. Since its summer, your granddaughter might also enjoy going on a short volksmarch. The routes usually wind through fields of cows, sheep, or horses, and the paths are generally fine for strollers.

Those are just a couple of ideas off the top of my head, but I'm sure your son and his family will find plenty of things to do. Germany has so many opportunities for outdoor activities. Its a great place for kids.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:31 PM

The children's play land at Moebel Martin in Kaiserslautern.

The zoo in Frankfurt.

Luisenpark in Mannheim -- trails, zoo, feed the ducks, everything a great park should have...
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions.

My kids have been in Ramstein since June 16, but won't get housing until July 8. In between, they're living in a motel-like place where they really don't have the chance to meet other people. It also doesn't have Internet access, so my DIL can't do research about what's in the aea. She checked in the BX, but there weren't any books about child friendly activities.

My DIL has been taking my granddaughter to a playground on base almost every day while my son is at work, but they want to go off base on Sundays and see some of Germany.
Jul 4th, 2008, 12:58 AM

Suggest they stop by the RTT (tours) office on Ramstein AB: http://www.rtttravel.com/. They have a wealth of informtion on attractions in the area.
Jul 4th, 2008, 07:34 AM

There is free internet access at the Ramstein library. They also have lots of travel guides.

Have DIL go to the Family Support Center -- all kinds of info there.

Jul 4th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

My DIL can't use the Internet access at the library because they don't allow small children in that area.

I'll definitely check out that travel website.
Jul 4th, 2008, 10:00 AM

Abram, I was really suggesting your DIL stop by the RTT office on the base, but the website may have some useful information as well. Wanderfrau has another good suggestion in the Family Support Center - children will definitely be welcome there. The modern USAF is very family oriented, and there are lots of people eager to help.
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

It really wasn't so much suggestions about base resources that I was looking for--but places nearby that fodorites had enjoyed with young children. I apologize for not being clear.
Jul 4th, 2008, 11:58 AM

Perhaps I wasn't clear, either. RTT and Family Support Center can suggest off-base places for families to visit. Kaiserslautern is well off the tourist track. The Kaiserslautern area (including Ramstein) has the largest American community outside the US, but nearly all are connected with the USAF or Army.
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, the cars (and the rest of their possessions) haven't arrived yet, so my DIL is pretty limited oas to where on this large base she can easily go. So, I thought I'd try to gather some information for her.
Jul 4th, 2008, 08:46 PM

abram, you are getting some great information, and the best information of all you seem to be sloughing off. Your DIL can get on a bus, or walk , just like many other people do ,, and I would suggest she definately get in touch with the Family resourse center there, since she will be living there, she needs to figure out ALL the services and social groups etc that may be avaialable to her. Perhaps she was not aware of this center??
Fodorites HAVE given you some excellant suggestions, but the best suggestion was the Resourse Center as she can use if for all the info she may want to get, about many things, ( preschool, playgroups, bests playgrounds, best shops for kids , local facilities and recreation centers, etc etc) .

Jul 5th, 2008, 12:26 AM

Bozama, you are correct. Chances are, DIL knows those things already anyway, since every family is scheduled to attend newcomer's orientation upon arrival at a new base. The Air Force looks after its people.

If DIL really is that helpless, all the more reason to get in touch with the Family Support Center...sooner rather than later. BTW, Ramstein AB has free shuttle buses.
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Wow, I'm astonished at the responses, but you're right--I am sloughing off information that isn't at all what I was aking. My DIL isn't helpless--just, on a temporary basis, a little limited in her options. I wasn't asking about base resources, "all the services and social groups", preschool, playgroups, bests playgrounds, best shops for kids", etc.

As I said before, I was hoping people who had traveled in the area with small children would give me some suggestions for day trips away from the base--and I am extremely grateful to those who responded with that information.
Jul 5th, 2008, 11:26 AM

You don't seem to get the point, abram. The base agencies we have cited are good sources for information on OFF-BASE activities. We are not talking about facilities on the base. When I was at Ramstein AB I had no problem finding things to do OFF-BASE for my young child and myself. All I had to do was stop by the RTT Office for brochures and advice on things to do in the local area.
Jul 5th, 2008, 03:12 PM

The USO office located on the upper floor of the air terminal could also be helpful regarding off base activities and trips.
Jul 5th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

I do understand why the RTT was recommended, and I'm sure my DIL will check it out.

But, what I wanted to hear about was personal experiences.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO