Random Questions for Montrealers

Old May 22nd, 2011, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random Questions for Montrealers

Here are a few questions I hope some of the Montreal residents (or frequent visitors) on the forum can answer:

1. I'm driving into Montreal from the US on Friday, May 28 - expecting to arrive around 3:00 PM. Specifically, I'm headed to Notre-Dame-de-Grace. Which bridge is best to use if coming in on A-15? Will the Champlain be enough of a mess that the Mercier is worth the detour?

What about if I come in on the A-10? Champlain, Victoria, or Mercier?

2. If I can only visit one of Lachine Fur Trade (won't be able to do the bike ride to and from), Fort Chambly, or Fort Lennox, which do you recommend?

3. I know people generally tell visitors to Montreal that they do not need to rent a car if they fly in. But since I am driving my own car in - and will be staying out west - are there any attractions/areas in the city that would be just as easy for me to visit by car as by metro/bus (especially those for which I would not need to pay for parking)?

4. Any advice on making the most of Free Museum Day?

Looking forward to my visit - thanks for the help!
Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Thought of another question -

5. I have read that in the past the grounds of the Botanical Gardens were free after 5:00 or 6:00 PM. Does anyone know if that is still the case?

Thanks!
Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:26 PM

Hi Cranachin,

1. I think it's the Champlain you want for NDG. Don't drive though so not an expert.

2. Been to Fort Chambly, not Fort Lennox, so can't compare. I thought the former was well presented; I generally like the town of Chambly, has charm and walkable. I biked out there.

3. A car is not needed to have a great trip but opens up certain options like most anywhere. Ile Bizard, Chambly, Mont Saint-Hilaire are a sampling of worthwhile places I've been to in a car that would have been challenging otherwise.

5. the case after shhhh6pmshhhhh

Have a great trip! Daniel
Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Daniel,

Thanks for chiming in! I was hoping to hear from you, as I know you live in Montreal.

I'm not sure I will use the car much while in the city, but wondered if there were places (like Mont-Royal maybe, or certain neighborhoods) that it was as easy as taking public transit.

If I go to Lachine or one of the forts it likely will be on my last day, on my way back to the US - hence only time for one. All sound interesting, though.

With the construction on the Champlain Bridge, I was not sure how tied up it will be at the beginning of Friday rush hour. I think the lane restrictions do not go into effect until late Friday, though, so I hope I will be OK. Also, maybe traffic into the city is not as bad as traffic going out?

Sorry to be so loud with Q5!
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:14 PM

the Ft. Lennox web site says the site is closed now due to flooding--looks as tho it will not open this weekend. So that may narrow down your options. I would have picked Chambly over Lennox anyway, if that makes you feel any better. I have not been to the Fur Trade museum yet.
Old May 26th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Vttraveler - thanks for the info on Ft. Lennox! I had not heard/read about that. Thanks also for the rating of Chambly vs. Lennox.
Old May 26th, 2011, 01:39 PM

Hope you have a good trip and decent weather. We have a tornado watch in northern Vt this afternoon/evening
Old May 26th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Vttraveler - Thanks for the good wishes! I heard about the tornado watch on the radio down here in the Boston area and was surprised.

I'm glad you mentioned the flooding in Quebec. That spurred me to check out the highway info to make sure the roads are clear.