Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Question re. taking wine, food INTO the U.S.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are visiting family in N.Y. and would like to take some nice Ontario and B.C. wines with us. Also have done a P.C. (President's Choice) run for them - all either jarred or canned goods. Would like to know how much wine we can take into U.S. and if we should expect to encounter any problems with the food. Thx.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 06:50 PM

Dear Bashful, The canned goods will be fine to take in to the states. But I think they frown on transporting wines & liquor arcoss the border. Its a touchy subject now adays. But worth a shot , at worst they will keep your wine if not good for you.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 12:51 AM

According to Department of Homeland Securities and US Dept of state Websites, you can bring in 1 liter of wine per person traveling over the age of 21 in your group. I gave up trying to find you info about the food - the Dept of State website used to be user-friendly, but now we have a new Dept of Homeland Security under which many border regulations fall - it took forever to search that site - but you could try to track it down yourself.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks Gail for the research. I think I'm ok with canned and jarred stuff as long as no meat in it. So basically my husband and I can take in a total of 2 bottles of wine! not much of a selection is it!!
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 08:50 AM

We just came back from Canada a couple of weeks ago. No fresh meat or fresh fruits & vegetables are allowed. Canned or jarred meats or goodies will be no problem at all.

As far as the wine, I wouldn't be too concerned. Two bottles of wine would be duty free. If they do stop and charge you for the rest of the wine, the duty on still wines is dirt cheap. I brought back 5-6 bottles and they didn't say anything.

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 11:37 AM

If it had not been 4:51 AM when I responded the first time I would have remembered to add that it is very unlikely you will be checked/stopped for excess wine. Our kids are still nagging us about the time we brought a case of beer from a NY State brewery into Canada (since we would be returning to US via another route) and several bottles of wine for personal use that we genuinely forgot to declare. They still view us as wine smugglers - but no one ever asked.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 03:19 PM

Hi. Just got back from Montreal. Funny thing is that once past the security for a flight to the US--you are on US soil. So, that half a smoked meat sandwich which my husband was planning to eat the airport was confiscated. But, we were able to keep the cheeses (make sure that they are clearly marked as being made of pasteurized milk). Chocolate, jam, bottled olives, chocolate bread, jam, portuguese rolls all OK too.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 04:31 AM

If you bring more than two bottles of wine, you just pay the duty.

Keith
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 05:06 AM

does anyone know the duties you would pay on wine taken into U.S.?
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 07:07 AM

I have a related question, but haven't been able to get it answered before.

Returning from Europe to the US by airplane, customs lets you take as much alcohol as you can carry, without charging a duty. (At least they have done this for me twice and for MANY others).

When flying, does this also happen coming back from Canada.

I'm not asking what the law is. I am asking about people's actual experiences.

Thanks!

Keith