Quebec City with a dog?

May 16th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Quebec City with a dog?

We are making a driving vacation from the southeastern US to Nova Scotia in July. We will be taking our 5 yr old Golden Retriever with us. There is no problem (I anticipate) with our stay in Nova Scotia as we have rented a house on the southwest coast. En route we will use dog friendly hotels and primarily eat picnic lunches at rest areas or eat sandwiches in the car, as in July it is too hot to leave a dog in the car for even a moment.
I am thinking of taking a route home through Quebec City. Can someone speak to the degree of difficulty I would have finding a hotel which is within walking distance of restaurants with outdoor seating that would permit a dog to sit outside with us? (He is not a seeing eye dog)
Jun 10th, 2010, 09:44 AM

That's the trouble with this CA forum....there's so little activity on it. I've just started thinking about a fall trip to the Gaspe Peninsula with our dog (70# collie). Perhaps this site will help you

http://www.petfriendly.ca/rentals.php?id=6

If anyone else sees this and has Canada/dog info, please weigh in!
Jun 10th, 2010, 12:29 PM

Perhaps this is a little late, however the Fairmont Chateau Frontenac accepts dogs - for an extra $30 per night (and it's already a very high-end hotel). But it's beautifully located and some friends who are well-travelled and stayed there last year say it's one of the best hotels they've ever stayed in.
Jun 13th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

We looked at Fairmont Chateau Frontenac but the issue is our need to sightsee and eat away from the room itself, and I wanted to verify that our dog (who never barks) would be permitted to stay in the room alone for a couple of hours.
I was told by a online hotel reservation service (not Fairmont) that I could leave the dog in the room as they had a sign I would hang on the door (Do not enter: dog in room).
I wanted to make sure this was correct, and called the Fairmont reservation service and was told, "NO, dogs can never be left alone in the room".
I was going to call the Chateau Frontenac itself to ask the front desk people exactly what the policy was, but then instead, I found a VRBO (Vacation Rentals By Owner) cottage that permitted a dog, and as it is "my home for three days" instead of a hotel, there is no issue with anyone entering the place when we are gone.
I did use the petfriendly (and other similar) site to search out hotels for the rest of my trip. I was able to find some outdoor eateries that we can use when our dog is with us while we eat (some of the time).
In the end, it hasn't been too bad finding hotels, etc. for this two week vacation that accept dogs, but I am not sure I will try another trip with my dog in tow. (I guess I'll have to see how I feel when the trip is over, I leave in 3 weeks)