Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quebec City or New Orleans? Need help deciding...

Aug 11th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

(I'm cross-posting to the US forum)
Fodorites, I need your help. DH and I want to visit a new city for our September anniversary (my birthday, too.) Budget and time limits mean Paris or Rome are out. I suggested Quebec, DH suggested NO. We have not visited either place.

We like to eat well, stay in a nice hotel (within reason), visit a good museum, see a few sights, maybe hear good music, drive to see surrounding countryside, shop a bit. We want to feel like we've traveled somewhere different (we live in Connecticut). Weather will obviously be very different. Flights to NO appear reasonable --we would probably drive to Quebec.

There is a lot of great info about both cities on the forums: it's just hard to decide. We could flip a coin... So any guidance? What do you think?
Aug 11th, 2003, 05:46 PM

I've been to all three. Quebec City and New Orleans just once; Montreal many, many times. I'm not sure how much assistance others can provide you, as everyone seems to have strong preferences with regard to these destinations.

While I did enjoy both New Orleans and Quebec City, one visit to each was enough for me. Montreal I'd move to in a flash if that were feasible. All have the things to see and do, along with exceptional restaurants. Each has their own plusses and minuses.

I'm guessing you're looking for a "French experience". Have you considered San Francisco? September is an ideal time, weatherwise, to visit.
Aug 12th, 2003, 05:14 AM

Quebec City.

Have fun.

Ross.
Aug 12th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful feedback -- I think I'm leaning towards QC, and the favorable exchange rate is helping. Weather too; it's been hot and muggy here too long, and NO will no doubt be the same.

We did consider SF, also Napa Valley and Big Sur -- but we have been there before and want to try somewhere new before we go back.
Aug 12th, 2003, 07:32 AM
ltt

quebec in september will be really nice. if you dont' know french, pick up a book and learn a couple of basic words, sentences. they'll appreciate the effort.
Aug 12th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, ltt. Actually, I grew up in England back when French was the mandatory second language taught in school. Used to be fluent, but it's pretty rusty now. It will be nice to exercise that again!