Reload this Page >

Quebec City on a Shoestring?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 09:17 PM
Jane

My college-age daughter and friend will be visiting Quebec City for 2 days in October. They need to do it CHEAP and wonder where to stay, what to do and where to eat. Any good dance clubs there? HELP!!?

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 07:49 AM
Diane

I've been planning a Christmas trip and found some good websites - it should be pretty cheap, the US dollar is worth $1.68 in Canada. Try www.quebecweb.com (which may be a bit out of date, but the links work) www.travel2canada.com <BR>So far, we're staying in Ste-Foy, just outside of QC, across from Lavall University at the Hotel Universal. We're driving and they have free parking, plus we need two rooms. A double room is $42US a night ($69 Canadian). I'd bet you can find the girls something in QC at about that price, however.

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 07:52 AM
Diane

Oh yes, and I got sent to another good site under a different response here: <BR>www.tourisme.gouv.qc.ca/anglais/home_a.html

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 08:20 AM
Susan

Re-check again on the exchange rate - I know our dollar is low, but not that low! I think the Canadian dollar is worth about 68 cents U.S., so the U.S. dollar is worth about $1.50 Canadian.

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 09:03 AM
Diane

You are right -- I was just thinking that myself -- (gee, it wasn't worth quite that much last night.....) duh. <BR>$1.46 is closer. Still quite a deal, and why we're planning a trip to Canada versus Europe or the Caribbean or even elsewhere in the US!

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 08:54 PM
Ralph

Highly recommend that you defer - and let your daughter and her friend seek out their own accomodations and activities. If they're old enough to travel to Quebec on their own, they're old enough to figure out where to stay and what to do on their own. You don't really think they'll take your advice - do you???

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 05:52 AM
Diane

Ralph, when your college-age kids ask you for advice, you like to be able to respond with some. Whether they take it or not is their choice, and you live with it. Believe it or not, they do reach a point where they stop treating parents like the enemy and see them as more than a financial resource!

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 03:07 AM
BobbyB

I have to agree with Diane on this one. Our kids are 34 and 28 and they have always asked our advice. They don't always follow it but they do ask. There are many times when we ask them for advice. Never have we ever been the enemy.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 09:19 PM
Shan

Ralphs an ass