Reload this Page >

Quebec City - attractions, hotel, and distance from Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2000, 06:12 PM
stellah

Hello. I'm planning a trip to Quebec City at the end of May (Memorial Day weekend). Could you point out the must-see attractions in the area? I will only be there 2 nights/2.5 days, so as you can imagine, not too much time to see and enjoy everything (though I wish I could).. Also, what are some of the best places to stay at (not too pricey please)? <BR> <BR>I will be driving to Quebec City from Boston, MA, would anyone happen to know how long the drive would be? <BR> <BR>Thank you so much!!

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 06:51 AM
Daniel Williams

Hi Stellah! <BR> <BR>I would guess around 9 hours to get to Quebec City to Boston...however, this is just an estimation, I know it's around 7 1/2 hours from Boston to Montreal and 2 1/2 hours from Montreal to Quebec City. But Boston and Quebec City ARE both east of Montreal, so that'll probably cut off some time. <BR> <BR>Things to do: plan to walk around Vieux Québec and the Plains of Abraham. The views are lovely and the people-energy can be delightful. The legislature just outside the walls of Old Quebec is worth a look, to learn about Quebec culture and history. Les Chutes Montmorency are just outside the city. <BR> <BR>Have fun and enjoy Quebec City! It's a delightful place to visit. <BR> <BR>DAN <BR> <BR>PS (I always stayed with friends there...sorry I can't help with accommodation.) <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 08:15 AM
Bob Brown

I second the motion to visit Les Chute Montmorency. It is a very spectacular and a very high waterfall. There are viewpoints and a bridge that goes directly over the brink of the falls. <BR>I don't recommend it if you have a fear of heights, however. But if you don't, it is quite an experience to look straight down on the river as it goes over the cliff. <BR>When we were there, I selected a B and B - La Maison du Mesnil run by Renee Thibeault (pronounce Tee bow) <BR>It has a web page, so check it out. <BR>http://www.quebecweb.com/BandBMesnil/introang.html <BR>The page is in English and French. <BR> <BR>Renee speaks English well enough to be helpful. You will stuff yourself full at breakfast. And the place is well furnished and very clean. (Some Canadians follow a practice of removing their shoes upon entry. I don't recall if Renee did that or not. But I have stayed at other places that did.)

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 08:35 AM
Sara

When we drove there from Concord, MA 3 years ago, my recollection is that it took about seven hours. Looking at the triptik I still have from that trip, it seems to confirm it would take between seven and eight hours. Since you're driving, you should obtain from your insurance agent a "Non Resident Interprovince Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Identification Card" to prove you are covered in case of an accident - apparently your registration alone isn't good enough. We stayed at the Chateau Frontenac, which was wonderful, but not terribly inexpensive, as you requested. However, remember that the exchange rate works in your favor, so that things aren't as expensive as they seem. Take a tour of the Citadel, drive out to Beauport (about 7 miles outside of the city) to see Montmorency Falls, a spectacular waterfall that's higher than Niagra Falls (altough not nearly as wide). In the upper part of the Old City there are a couple of attractions that consist of dioramas with slides, lights, and narration that explain the history of Quebec, including the battle on the Plains of Abraham, which are very interesting, and I think it enhances your experience in the Old City to have an understanding of the history of it. I have to admit I was abysmally ignorant of Canadian history before visiting there. There is a visitor's center near the Chateau Frontenac with lots of information and brochures on local attractions, they can help you decide what not to miss. We also enjoyed going to the Museum of Civilization. I wish I could remember the names of some of the good restaurants that we ate at, but I can't. There is a neat little fondue restaurant near the Chateau Frontenac that we enjoyed. Have a good time - we're going back there next week for school vacation week ourselves, and looking forward to it.

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 10:35 AM
dougd

I have been to Quebec City a few times in the past several years - it's a great place to get a cheap European vacation.For me it's about a 5 1/2 hour drive, and I'm about 2 hours northwest of Boston. If at all possible, stay inside the old city. It's really not that expensive. We stayed at a nice b&b on St Urslene (sp?). St Urslene is lined with moderately priced b&b's, most under $100 a night Canadian, and it's a beautiful street. Surf the web, you should find some. Quebec City is actually fairly large, but the old city, which is by far the most interesting, is quite small, and can be seen in a few days. If it's a nice day, stroll up on the boardwalk in front of the Frontenac, and thru the park, the Plains of Abraham. Don't waste your time at the art museum in the park, the art is not very impressive. Also stroll out thru the gates of the old city along the Grand Aliee (sp?) which is lined with outdoor cafes. There is also a great observatory at the top of one of the tall buildings outside the old city. If you have the time, see the huge Morency Falls, and drive around Isle de Orleans, a beautiful island of farmlands and tiny villages.