Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tofino Accommodation - Wickaninnish? Middle Beach? Pacific Sands? Help!

Apr 16th, 2000, 07:50 AM
Elizabeth

Thinking of going to Tofino in 2 weeks and would appreciate comments regarding the above lodging options. The Wickaninnish is more expensive - but looks lovely, as does Middle Beach and Pacific Sands. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Apr 16th, 2000, 08:05 AM
sheri

Hi Elizabeth, Tofino is one of my favorite destinations in the NW, and the Wick and the Middle Beach two of my favorite places to stay (I've seen the Pacific Sands but haven't stayed there; IMO it's a good notch or two below the others).

The Wick is lovely, but seems a little stuffy and formal for Tofino. Choose it if you prefer to have your luggage carried and your beds turned down. The Middle Beach is not quite as luxurious, but it's still very nice--it just has more of a laid-back feel to it, which, in my book, is more in keeping with Tofino's atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, I like the Wick very much, it's just a difference in style.

Apr 16th, 2000, 08:17 AM
Elizabeth

Sheri - thanks for your great comments. Since you're an experienced Tofino traveller could I trouble you for a bit more information....

We'd like to go Whale Watching (obviously!) Would you take a Zodiac tour or a larger boat? On some of the Whale Watching web sites there are dramatic warnings about the Zodiac Tours (i.e. comments such as "Warning. Not for everyone!") but no more information than that. I take that to mean it's a small boat; don't take it if you're prone to seasickness; can't swim; etc - is that about right? While we're both strong swimmers and not prone to seasickness if the Zodiacs are terribly uncomfortable and potentially detract from the experience I'd be just as happy with a larger boat. Comments?

Also, I've read about private Naturalist guided tours - sounds like a good idea although my husband and I are very independent travellers who tend to research an area to death (this posting is an example of that!). What do you think - worthwhile?

Thanks again for any information you can provide.

Regards

Elizabeth
Toronto, Ont

Apr 16th, 2000, 11:57 AM
sheri

On my last trip to Tofino in October, I did a zodiac trip to the hot springs. I didn't find it to be uncomfortable, but like you I don't really have problems with seasickness, etc. It can be jolting--you go very fast over the waves, and can land hard. And it's cold, which is why they give you the suits. Bring gloves, hats etc. as well, even if it's a nice day (I seem to remember that the tour operator had a basket full of these things as well if you forget yours). I really liked the hot springs trip, and we saw a whale on the way there, as well as some bears on the shore and lots of other marine mammals and birds.

I've never felt the need to do a guided trip with a naturalist; some of the trails in Pacific Rim (the two Rainforest trails come to mind) have interpretive signs along the way to show what you're seeing. If you are particularly interested in the local flora and fauna, then I can see that having a guide would enhance your experience.

Have a great time; I've been to Tofino five or six times now and can't wait for my next trip!

Apr 18th, 2000, 11:03 AM
CHERYL

Don't discard B & B's in Tofino either. I love the Wickaninnish--they have fabulous food and is on The Gourmet Trail- if you want to know more about that-please e-mail me-my daughter is their agent and agent for an Ale Trail as well. If you are into luxury the Wick has a fab spa called the Cedars(I think). Though you won't have much choice try to do the whale watching on a sunny day in the morning so you stay warmer-it can cool off on the water in late afternoon. The wick has lovely rooms, gives you sou'westers for a stroll on the beach and has bowls of lavender beside the beds. Enjoy yourself.

Apr 18th, 2000, 01:09 PM
Elizabeth

Sheri and Cheryl - thanks so much for your help - It was a tough decision but in the end we went with The Wick - the need for maximum pampering was very strong! (we've been working too hard!).

One final question - any restaurant suggestions? We're booked for dinner at The Wick, but other lunch/dinner suggestions would be appreciated as we're there for 3 days. Thanks again.

Elizabeth

Apr 18th, 2000, 01:46 PM
sheri

Hi Elizabeth, I really liked the Raincoast Cafe in town for lunch or dinner, and I've been hearing that the Wickaninnish Inn restaurant in Pacific Rim National Park (to the south of Tofino; not related to the Wick hotel) has improved recently (I had a BAD meal there and awful service several years ago). There's a crab place on the left side of the road as you drive into town that's great for just your basic steamed crab (yum!)--I think it's called the Crab Pot, or something like that. And if Clayoquot Wilderness Resort is open and serving dinners to non-guests, GO by all means. The Wick should be able to set that up for you(you take a water taxi out there for the evening; it's marvelous. Of course, I'm assuming that their chef, Tim May, is still there; you may want to check to be sure).

Have a great time!