Quebec and Ontario in June'09

Old Apr 8th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quebec and Ontario in June'09

My husband and I were planning a trip to Canada in June for a week, and we wanted to cover Quebec City, Montreal and Toronto.

Which place should we make a our base and please give suggestion regarding boutique hotels and B&B's.

Thanks.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM
LJ

Well, thats a lot of Canada to cover in a week. You do realize you can't stay in one and cover the other two in day trips? Even by plane this is not possible in any meaningful way (and would be VERY expensive).

I think you will have to decide either Montreal/Quebec City with maybe 4 days in one and 3 in the other or a week in Toronto with side trips to Niagara Falls, Niagara-on-the-Lake and maybe Kingston for the flavour of an older Candian town.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 11:43 AM

I agree with LJ. It's not possible to have one of these cities as a base. I think you will have to make a choice here.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

I meant we wanted to fly in and out of Toronto (same airport) if possible.

4 days in Montreal/Quebec City and 3 days in Toronto sound good too me.

Any suggestion regarding boutique hotels and B&B's.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 04:50 PM

Hi sbhatia

By train, you're looking at 9 hours between Toronto and Quebec City (there's a bit of a wait in Montreal between the Toronto-Montreal (4 1/2+ hours) and Montreal-QC train (3 hours). Driving between T.O. and Q.C would be comparable time-wise.

It is do-able with Toronto as a base: 2 nights in Toronto, take train to Montreal, 3 nights in Montreal, then 1 night Quebec City, then the last day getting yourself from Quebec City back to Toronto, spending the night in Toronto. However, in my opinion, while "do-able" I would not recommend this as trying to fit in all three is quite travel-heavy and rushed where one (and one could argue all) of the cities will get short-shrift.

I think a more enjoyable trip would be to instead substitute Ottawa for Toronto (Ottawa is only two hours from Montreal) and make Montreal your airport, spending 1-2 nights in Ottawa, 3-4 nights in Montreal, 2 nights Quebec City.

Unfortunately I don't have any meaningful experience with boutique hotel/B&Bs (even though I live in Mtl and have visited the other cities a few times).

Enjoy your trip whatever you decide. Daniel
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 09:50 AM

I agree that it's too much in 7 days. 4 days for Montreal AND Quebec just isn't going to be enough. I would stick to just Montreal and Quebec OR do Toronto.

If you're absolutely set on the three, then you're looking at:

Day 1 & 2 Toronto
Day 3 travel to Montreal
Day 4 & 5 Montreal
Day 6 Quebec
Day 7 travel to Toronto

You're not looking at any real enjoyment of the places you'll be going to, but you'll be able to say "I went to Montreal, Quebec, and Toronto".
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:39 AM

Well, if you stay in Toronto and want a b and b, here is a good website, http://www.torontocitybandb.com/.
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:31 PM

We flew into Montreal and spent close a week there before taking the train to Quebec City for three nights then back to Montreal for two.

I would allow at least a few days in both cities. In Montreal we stayed at two places in the Old Port:
Auberge San Soucy and a sister inn right around the corner(cannot remember the name). BUT The Auberge San Soucy was one of our favorite B&Bs ever. It is relatively small with a staff that is absolutely charming. There is no elevator if that is an issue for you. Each morning there is full breakfast(your choice of eggs and cereals etc). The highlight is the homebaked croissants/pain chocolate which is to die for. We actually like staying in the Old Port and walking here and there. We took the Metro all over the city. The food alone in Montreal is worth a few nights at least.

Quebec City was much quieter than Montreal and considerably less urban. We stayed at the Dominion 1912 which is a hotel albeit a small and charming one with breakfast served in the lobby each morning.