Quebec and Montreal train stations

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2017, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling from Quebec to Montreal by train after disembarking from a cruise. I am 66 yr old female who will be traveling alone and do not speak French. Has anyone used either of these train stations and have some pointers? Such as will I be able to navigate these stations with the ability to find the departures etc. additionally I am concerned about finding the access to the Fairmont Hotel in the Montreal train station once I arrive. I would definitely appreciate any tips or suggestions.
Old May 28th, 2017, 03:49 PM

I don’t remember either train station particularly well but you won’t have any difficulty finding people to answer your questions in English. Can’ hurt though to learn a few French words so you can read signs , Carry a map or a phrase book and chance are when someone sees you stop to consult it they will offer help. Of course be sure to say “excuse moi” (excuse me) s’il vous plait” (please) and merci (thank you) at every opportunity.Courtesy, even in a bad accent, and a smile go a long way.

Enjoy your stay.
Old May 28th, 2017, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!
Old May 28th, 2017, 06:30 PM

Yes, I've used both train stations a few times. I don't think you'll have any problems, both are user friendly, with things clearly marked. Quebec's station is quite small and I'm pretty sure all trains from there go to Montreal, so there's really no going wrong (the Halifax-bound train leaves from Quebec City's suburb Charny). The Fairmont Queen Elizabeth is right next to Montreal's Central Station; I seem to recollect signage to the Fairmont at the station but even if I'm mistaken, most if not all Montrealers working in the station would be bilingual enough to direct you to the hotel.
Old May 28th, 2017, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much!
Old May 29th, 2017, 03:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
As much as it likes to pretend, Montreal is not Paris, you will manage perfectly well with English.

The Fairmount Hotel (Queen Elizabeth) is currently closed for renovations. On their website they are taking reservations starting July 31st.
Old May 29th, 2017, 04:40 AM

The Directions function on Google Maps can help you orient yourself. The Quebec City station is in the harbour and the city sits on and around a hill so the easiest way to get to your hotel (which you do not name) will be a taxi. Anyone dealing with tourism will speak enough English for both of you although the language is used less in QC than Montreal.
These days you can take for granted that major train stations will have websites which you can look up for yourself (airports too):
http://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our...c-city/station
http://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our...uebec/montreal
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 04:38 AM

Many people leave in Montreal their entire lives without really speaking French, whereas there will be more French used in Quebec City. As mentioned, however, it is not difficult to find an English speaker even there. For your purposes, the signage is sufficient to get you where you want to be.
As your first point of entry, perhaps use a taxi to get to the Quebec City train station. They are metered....or if you have Uber, then that is an alternative.