Quarantine plan

Old Aug 24th, 2021, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quarantine plan

As part of the process to enter Canada, it says you need a plan for quarantine if you test positive sometime during your stay.

it doesn't say what the criteria are for this plan though. Can my plan be: get a hotel room somewhere and stay there.

How much detail do you need, what to the border control agents ask about?
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 04:58 PM

Hi,
My sister struggled with what was needed for her "quarantine plan" in the ArriveCan app. When the app asked if she had a quarantine plan, she first answered "no" and clicked continue. The next screen asked for the address where she would quarantine if needed - huh? So she went back and answered "yes" and the next screen asked for the address of where she would quarantine. She gave the app the address of the first hotel at which she was staying. The app was happy.

When she went through the border, the agent checked their vaccination records, checked that all was in order with their Covid tests, asked why the were coming to Canada (vacation), how long they were staying, where they were staying and were they bringing in any items that would be left in Canada. He never asked about their quarantine plan, but if he had she would have answered that if at some point they needed to quarantine, they would proceed to a nearby hotel capable of having them for 14 days and quarantine there.

Now YMMV depending on the agent you get but his seems a reasonable approach. The ArriveCan app is looking for an address , not an explanation, so she gave them an address of one place she was staying and if questioned, she would have explained the strategy.

Hope this helps

Pamela
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Pamela that helps a lot!

Surprised to hear that a negative test was still needed even if she was vaccinated?
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by opeters418 View Post
Thank you Pamela that helps a lot!

Surprised to hear that a negative test was still needed even if she was vaccinated?
Yes, a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of crossing the border. The agent checked that closely for the date and the time of the test to make sure it was within the 72 hr time frame. I believe you need to have it downloaded into the ArriveCan app.

Our understanding is that no test is required to re- enter the US via a land border crossing. My sister will (hopefully) be verifying that tomorrow when they cross back into the US
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

ok wow didn't realize that, went back to double check the website and you are correct, a negative test within 72 hrs is required to enter Canada regardless of vaccination status.

On the US side, seems like a test is not needed for vaccinated people for land crossings but is needed for air crossings. Go figure. Hopefully your sister doesn't have any trouble, let me know how that goes too!
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 11:55 PM

Hi,
I want to know the procedure of visiting CANADA in covid, Please help me.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 12:10 PM

Thank you to the original post. I have just filled out the ArriveCan form and got to the quarantine questions. I also put our original hotel in as the location we would quarantine, if necessary. Iím glad to hear Immigration didnít ask any specific questions about that.

It appears we will need a negative covid test to reenter the US. Can anyone recommend a testing center in Quebec City open on Sunday where we could get tested?
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by bumper View Post
Thank you to the original post. I have just filled out the ArriveCan form and got to the quarantine questions. I also put our original hotel in as the location we would quarantine, if necessary. Iím glad to hear Immigration didnít ask any specific questions about that.

It appears we will need a negative covid test to reenter the US. Can anyone recommend a testing center in Quebec City open on Sunday where we could get tested?

Here is a list of all the testing centres in the Quebec City Region: https://www.ciusss-capitalenationale...pistage/quebec

They are all open 7 days a week, some will take appointments, some will not. However, navigating the testing centres without working knowledge of French could definitely be a challenge. The system was not designed with tourists in mind, so even in Montreal the testing centres can have limited to no English-language support.