Reload this Page >

Quarantine Pets?

Search

Quarantine Pets?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 04:17 AM
Brad

Quarantine Pets?

Does anyone know anything about whether or not pets need to be quarantined when travelling from Italy to U.S. and vice versa? If so how long?

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 04:29 AM
cindy

Brad, <BR> <BR>You can find quarantine info for the US at this address: <BR>http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/animal.htm <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 04:31 AM
Brad

Cindy, <BR> <BR>Thanks! Do you need to go through quarantine too? <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 04:36 AM
cindy

Brad, <BR> <BR>Have you taken ALL your pills this morning? <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 08:15 AM
Shanna

Brad, since I'm living in anticipation of living in Italy one day, I searched for information on pet-taking. Italy wants your pet to have a certificate of health and have had a rabies vaccination not more than one year or less than one month. The US wants pretty much the same, although you should be able to find out particulars at the USDA/APHIS site. My research indicated to me that the US will be very strict about bringing animals into the country if they don't look healthy even with a certificate. I wish I could remember where I found the info on Italy - but I search so many overseas sites, I'm lucky I'm not cross-eyed. Try INS, Customs, USDA, the Navy Gaeta website has lots of information for Americans going overseas. To my knowledge, only UK has the dreaded quarantine for animals coming from countries not certified (by UK) as rabies-free. USDA/APHIS is probably going to up the restrictions on animals coming from countries with foot and mouth.