Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Purchasing Camcorders in the US or Canada???

Jul 29th, 2002, 11:36 PM
Jan

Does anyone know if it still pays to purchase electronics in the US. Camcorders? It used to be the best way but now with our CDN $ being in such bad shape unsure. I think perhaps not.
Opinions appreciated
Thanks
Jan

Jul 30th, 2002, 03:57 AM
laurie

Hi..we purchased one at Walmart in Michigan. Even with the exchange, it turned out to be a better price.

Jul 30th, 2002, 10:12 AM
robyn

I suppose it depends where you go. a&b sound has always been reasonable: www.absound.ca

Jul 30th, 2002, 10:35 AM
jan

Thks laurie & robyn, So far A&B is definately the best bet. Future shop trys to fool ya with there scratch and save. Not a savings at all.
I am rethinking buying in the states as servicing/warranty may be a problem I think.
Thanks Again
Jan

Jul 30th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Brian Kilgore

Various factors to consider.

Do you care about what specific model you buy? Sometimes models vary by country, and sometimes the one you want is not available, but a similar one is a bargain, on sale, in either country.

Warranty: Canadian distributors are getting more and more selective about whether they will fix a foreign-bouhgt camera. Nikon Canada refuses to fix foreign-bought digital cameras for canadian residents.

Top of the line cameras are very price comparative across the border, with most Canadian cameras just priced like the US ones, with exchange added. Accessories are a different matter, and there are savings in buying batteries, chargers, etc. in the USA. But, weirdly, I just checked the price of a specific (non-movie) tripod, and the Canadian price is significantly less than the US one.

Taxes, duties, smuggling, shipping, etc.
Mail order retailers on both sides of the border with good web sites now offer info on shipping charges, and these can be the killer. If you are already in the USA and can bring the camera back, you may savbe; if you had to pay $35 shipping, you might lose the advantage.

If you order from US mail order retailers you might get a choice of USA warranteed products and grey-market USA products, and need to make a decision based on this. Also check if USA-issued extended warranties copver a camera that "lives" in Canada, and check what happens when you ship it across the border for service.

A friend in Jacksonville bought a digital camera from Henry's in Toronto by mail a few weeks ago, because it was unavailable in the USA.

The deals vary brand by brand. In the camera accessory world, Sekonic meters and Vivitar flashes and Sigma lenses are much more expensive in Canada. Nikon top level still 35mm cameras are cheaper in Canada.

So, bottom line, you need to know the specific model you want.

BAK

Jul 30th, 2002, 10:52 PM
jan

Thanks Alot Brian,
You have given me much food for thought.
Found out some more info. I was looking at a JVC mini dv camcorder GRDVL520U for $999 Canadian. Can buy online for $429 USD. COuld save about $300 but no time now and the warranty is a big issue. I will check it out more while in the US. DOn't expect to get such a good deal in a store tho. Would be great to save $300 bucks
Thanks Again