Public transportation in Old Quebec?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I are staying at Hotel Le Saint Paul the end of April till the first week in May. We will not have a car so was wondering if it is possible to get around by bus and train? Does anyone know of any good 1 day bus tours?
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 03:45 PM

If you're staying within the area of Old Quebec you can walk everywhere you want to go; it's not so big as to be draining. There are lots of cabs and there are also caleche (horse-drawn buggies) rides. And yes, there are bus tours of the area and others that go outside Quebec.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 10:26 PM

There is a lot to see and do within walking distance within Old Quebec, so you may not even set foot on public transit and still feel you had a fulfilling trip. However, the bus system is quite good as far as North American cities of its size go. You can buy tickets at convenience stores (depanneurs) for $1.90 each or pay $2.25 if you pay when boarding the bus. In addition to using the bus for areas about 20-minute walk apart (i.e., rue Cartier to Place d'Youville), I have taken the bus to Parc Bois de Coulonge and to Sillery, outlying parts of Quebec with some gorgeous views of the Saint Lawrence River. I understand it's possible to get even to les Chutes Montmorency using public transit, although I haven't tried it.<BR><BR>Have a great time in one of my favorite North American cities. DAN
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 03:22 AM

For bus tours, see www.grayline.com
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much baker, Daniel and djk books for all your help! It's so nice to have insider info. I'm really excited about our trip.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:32 PM

Quebec city is wonderful...the most european you will get in N America! You can walk anywhere in old quebec, and tehy do have a great bus system if you want to go to Ste Foy (a suburb) to Place Laurier (shopping mall etc) You must try Chez Ashton poutine (its a QB fast food place that specializes in poutine...its amazing! I was addicted to the stuff. They also allow you to bring your own wine to some restaurants, which is cool. Best of luck..have a wonderful time!