Logistics-Burlington, VT to Quebec City

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2011, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I are planning a trip to Quebec City. When I checked air fares from my area into either Montreal or Quebec City they were roughly $400 more expensive than flying into Burlington, VT. If we were to fly into Burlington, should we rent a car and drive to Quebec City or is there a better option by train? Since we don't plan any day trips out of Quebec City I hate to rent for the whole period (and pay parking fees!). Thank you.
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:17 AM

Hi cmcfong,

It's true, airfare into Montreal (and Quebec I'd imagine would be a bit more) from the US isn't cheap. There are no train options to Quebec City from Burlington. Only possibility other than renting a car is to take the bus (Greyhound) to Montreal (Burlington is on the Boston-Montreal route) and catch the bus/train to Quebec City from there. Of these two, I'd probably pick bus as there's one hourly on Orleans Express Bus Lines out of Montreal's bus station, where the bus from Boston arrives. (Trains leave from the Gare Centrale which is about 20 blocks from the bus station.)

Have a great trip in la Vieille Capitale!

Daniel
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:25 AM

Oh, I wanted to add that even under the best of circumstances (bus out of Burlington happens to leave with a smooth connection after your flight comes in, border crossing reasonably painless, Montreal traffic reasonably smooth-going, smooth connection from Burlington bus to Quebec City bus), this public transit route to Quebec City will probably be 2 hours more than just renting a car out of Burlington airport and taking it to QC. I might do something like this, but it's not for everyone .
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

I am so glad you took the time to respond, Daniel. You gave me just the information I needed to decide to bite the bullet and rent the car.
Thank you so much!
Old May 24th, 2011, 05:36 PM

Make sure you let the rental agency know you want to drive the car in Canada when you make the reservation. You don't want to be told you can't when you arrive at the rental counter!
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

good advice.
Old May 30th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Because the savings amounted to almost $400 per person in airfare and the car rental was relatively cheap (under $250) we decided to book into Burlington and drive to Quebec City. We will have a GPS and do some mapping in advance, but I would welcome any suggestions of sights to see along the way or a great lunch restaurant. Thank you.
Old May 30th, 2011, 08:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
You didn't say where you were flying from! The way by train to Montreal on Amtrak is the Adirondack from NYC through Albany.
From Montreal you ride on a ViaRail train to Quebec City.
The other way to do this by train is The Maple Leaf to Toronto and then ViaRail from Toronto through Montreal to Quebec City.
If you really want to see Vermont, a rental car is your best option. When the GPS tells you to drive on the railroad tracks, don't do it.