Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do I need a car in Montreal and Quebec City?

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to a wedding inNJ in September and the cost of the rental car from there for 12 days is just crazy. I toying with the idea of flying in and out of Montreal directly (instead of NJ) and just renting a car in Montreal for a few days to drive down to the wedding and back and then spend the rest of my time carless. I had hope to do some driving on the Kings Road and such but maybe just take some tours instead now. Any comments? thanks!
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 04:40 PM

You do not need a car in either place. How to get to one from the other can be worked out. Montreal has a fabulous subway making everything accessible more or less. Check the normal prices compared to the tourist pass, 3 days worth as I recall. They do not take charge or check at the booth so you will need cash to buy it before boarding. Old town QC is easily seen on foot and a car is a problem there anyway.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 01:40 AM

For sobolik: Do you know offhand how much, in Canadian dollars, a round-trip VIA Rail ticket costs from Montreal and Quebec City. Your reply will help me decide how much U.S. funds to exchange for Canadian currency prior to the trip. Thank you.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 03:39 AM

If you go with the Supersaver Fare Comfort Class on VIA Rail (purchased at least 7 days in advance), the ride to Quebec City and back will be CAN$95.72. I recommend however the Orleans Express bus (www.orleansexpress.com) , which will be as fast as the train (3hrs., leaves from Station Centrale next to Berri-UQAM metro), similar comfort level to VIA, has greater flexibility in schedule (buses leave hourly, while there are only a few trains daily), advanced purchase not required and the cost is CAN$74.07 round trip. The bus depot and train depot in Quebec City are in the same building. Scenery is minimal and identical on both VIA Rail and bus.

Enjoy whatever you decide! DAN
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 06:12 PM

Dan -- I apologize for this late reply. Thank you so much for that info on the Express bus. As it turns out, I will be taking one of those Gray Line Canada coach tours to Quebec City from Montreal. I actually prefer independent travel, but I couldn't pass up the free hotel pickup and dropoff. I really cannot wait for this trip!
Gogoboots

Simbasmom -- Have a great time in Montreal and at the wedding!
Gogoboots

Gogoboots
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 04:44 AM

We live in Vermont and drive to Montreal quite often. While there we almost never use the car because travel by the metro, buses and walking is so much more convenient and less stressful. If you go to Quebec city you won't want/need a car there either for the old city.
Re Montreal metro tickets, the strips of six are cheaper than buying individual passes, and there are one day or 3 day tourist passes.
There are combined 3 day museum and public transit passes that might be a good deal if you want to visit several of museums (also museum only 3 day passes).