Prince Rupert?

Mar 7th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Prince Rupert?

Hi-
Cruise ship stops in Prince Rupert for a day. What's there to see / do?
Thanks,
Linda
Mar 7th, 2005, 07:20 PM

In my experience, not much other than carving exhibitions and the northern BC museum.

It rains almost constantly there. I am sure there is something to see, but I was not anxious to wander around in the wet. We ate at a nice enough place, enjoyed the comfortable booth, and then got ready for an early departure.

People there struck me as being very friendly. We enjoyed talking to quite a few people in the motel and the restaurant and the visitor center.

If there is an optional guided tour, you could take that. It is not a huge place, but having a bus to take you about would be good if rain is, as usual, falling.

Mar 7th, 2005, 10:15 PM

I agree there is not a lot to do in PR itself. Activities I have enjoyed are flying to outlying towns and camps with frieght-carrying float planes and driving along the Skeena River for the scenery. There is also an old salmon cannery outside of town that is worth an hour or two for the antiquity and a few fairly neat shops.

I've been there a couple of times since it is the terminus of my favorite train ride in the world. On the first trip, I met a lady who had lived there for five months who told me it had only rained twice while she lived there - once for two months and once for three months.
Mar 8th, 2005, 08:04 AM

While the town isn't much it's location is fabulous for Wildlife watching.
Orcas, Humpbacks, Seals, Sea Lions, Eagles, Opsreys, millions of Salmon ascending the beautiful majestic Skeena River it's all there.

http://www.tourismprincerupert.com/wildlife_tours.htm
Mar 9th, 2005, 05:12 PM

I think the whale watching is a good idea. I thought the people there were very interesting to talk to. Being a port city, some of the residents have literally seen the world and have some fascinating travel tales to tell.

Seeing the sights is not the whole story. I get a major energizing boost just hearing what others have to say, and around Prince Rupert you will find some very energizing people.