Search

Pow Wow dinner

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 08:10 AM
si

Pow Wow dinner

I have heard about a Pow Wow dinner at the Capilano suspension bridge. Has anyone been on this? Is it the sort of event children would enjoy. We are visited from the UK and would like to show our kids a little of the native canadians.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 12:10 PM
gary

I don't know of the First Nations traditional meal at Capilano but I have been to one on Grouse Mountain that is very entertaining and informative. That one would be great for kids and adults alike although the food is a little skimpy. I know that one is very authentic as it's totally under the direction of the First Nations bands in the region. I don't think we use the term 'Pow Wow' here by the way. If that's the term they're using at Capilano then I smell a Tourist Trap.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Robyn

Capilano Suspension Bridge is a tourist trap in my opinion, because they're charging you for things that you could otherwise do for free... (such as Lynn Canyon Park), however, as Gary's mentioned once several months ago, while it's touristy by nature, many people from out of town genuinely enjoy Capilano. Personally, I wouldn't go to the Capilano Suspension Bridge expecting an authentic Pow Wow (as those are held on Native land known as reserves - some Pow Wows are public, some are private)...<BR><BR>BUT... it still might be fun. <BR><BR>One suggestion would be, if you want something a little more authentic, go to the UBC campus to the Museum of Anthropology - probably the best museum of its kind in North America.<BR><BR>http://www.moa.ubc.ca/

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 02:43 AM
si

Thanks Gary and Robyn.<BR><BR>My children are quiet young (6 years and 4 years old) and I thought they might find the museum of anthropolgy a little boring, although I would enjoy it very much.<BR><BR>I am looking for an activity that will show them the first nations people, I do realise that it is a tourist thing and that they probably don't dress up like that normally. It's a bit like all the American's that come to England expecting us to all take high tea.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Cindy

Gary, I'm not absolutely certain about the use of the term "Pow wow." We have close friends who are Native and they use the term to describe large gatherings of various tribes, at which drumming and dancing take place and there's all sorts of food and entertainment. I would have thought it was one of those classic white neologisms like "heap big," but it may not be.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 07:00 AM
gary

'Pow Wow' may be legitimate for a ceremonial meeting though I suspect it's an East of the Rockies term. However West Coast ceremonial dinners are usually reffered to as Potlaches where in olden days prosperous natives would try to outdo themselves on the elaborateness of their meals and gifts to the point of bankrupting themselves. <BR><BR>Anyhow while I pride myself on being a mavin of somethings I'm not going to try to be the authority here. In fact this is an opportunity for a real First Nations expert to step up to the plate and clear this issue. I'm interested.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:43 AM
si

I have also heard of these events being called potlaches. Although I thought that "proper" potlatch events where illegal under Canadian law? (Just going on my guidebook to Canada) According to my book a potlach was a meeting where one tribe gave away everything they owned to their guests who then had to return the honour a few years later.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 10:24 AM
gary

Potlaches were made illegal through the pressure of missionaries at the end of the 19th century. I guess because it seemed 'pagan'. Obviously it's no longer illegal just greatly muted in the gift giving.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 06:11 AM
wendy

There is an authentic First Nations Restaurant on Davie Street Called Liliget Feast House. You will get very good First Nations Food and and a lovely atmosphere. This would be my suggestion as well as a visit to the Anthropology Museum at the University of BC.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:46 AM
cindy

Just thought I'd top this because I got a little more information yesterday about the term "pow wow". Gary's hunch seems to be right - it is a term used east of the Rockies. I was talking with a Native woman yesterday who was wearing a t-shirt she got at a pow wow in Manitoba, and she told me that "in BC they call it a potlach." Interestingly, this conversation took place at the Toronto Ashkenaz Festival - not a venue where you would necessarily expect to have a discussion about Native terminology!