Search

Post/ Chateau/ Rimrock

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2003, 06:14 PM
gkb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post/ Chateau/ Rimrock

Have planned 2 nights at the Rimrock (advice from past postings) Would like to stay at another hotel of different style for 1 more night- Emerald Lake was booked; so thought of: Chateau or Post ???? Also would like comments on travel time and suggestions. Will be traveling with 2 elderly adultss who cant hike, but love scenery; will have car. Plan on the Gondola, maybe Hot Springs, want to see as much from car or short walks as possible (wildlife, beauty,) will be heading to Okanagan Valley after the 3 night. June 1-4, 2003 How far should we try to drive towards the icefields? Thought we should leave the Banff/LL area around 11 am. to be able to see sights along the route to Okanagan how much time to allow for driving and stoping?
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:22 AM

gkb -

I'm from Calgary and I have not stayed at either the Post or the Chateau LL. Sorry you can't stay at Emerald Lake (the one place I've stayed at - it's fabulous!) but based on what you wrote (elderly who love scenery) I would definitely choose the Chateau LL. The Post has lovely grounds but the scenery at the Chateau is breathtaking with the lake, mountains, and glacier right outside the hotel. There is a paved path around the lake that would be great for a nice walk. I'm guessing that the lake would no longer be frozen (I may be wrong!) but either way, the Chateau is located right in the mountains and I think that is more memorable.

When driving to LL from Banff be sure to take the 1A highway - the scenery is great! Sorry I can't offer some more advice about driving to the Okanagan - I've never been.
Old May 21st, 2003, 10:41 AM

I've visited the Canadian Rockies three times and would return again. The natural beauty is beyond description. One trip was with three elderly adults, including one who required a wheel chair.

Here are my suggestions based on this experience. Take the Route 1A (Bow River Parkway) between Banff/LL. There are many scenic stops along the way and native fauna often slow traffic along the route. Although the store is touristy, consider stopping at Johnson Canyon for a view of the rapids and a brief rest break. Don't try the trails; they are rigorous even for healthy young adults. Continue on to LL. In LL see the Lake Louise, the mountains and glacier at the Chateau (As Hana mentioned, it is beautiful.), Moraine Lake in the Valley of Ten Peaks (more spectacular, especially in late afternoon, than the view at the Chateau), and, if you are up for a drive (30-45 minutes) the Great Continental Divide (not spectacular, but fun to visit). On the next day, drive up the Icefield Parkway and stop at Peyto Lake. You'll also see Crow Foot Glacier from the roadway. Bring a picnic lunch and the enjoy the view. Depending on how much time you have and how energetic folks are, you might consider driving to the Columbia Ice Fields and walking on Athabasca Glacier. Snowcats take you right onto the glacier and can accommodate those with limited mobility. It was well worth the $$.

I have stayed at the Chateau; dined, but did not stay at the Post. IMO the Chateau was over-rated for the price I paid (June 2000). However, breakfast/lunch at the Chateau were great, especially with the view. I've also stayed at the Lake Louise Inn. The view was not comparable, but we had condo-style unit with kitchen, loft, fireplace, and patio. I liked this much better. See: http://www.lakelouise.worldweb.com. Maybe someone else can help with Okanagan.
Old May 21st, 2003, 12:27 PM
ltt

personally, i would choose the post but if you want to do little walking and go for the view, the chateau would be best. there are lots of benches outside that they can sit and enjoy the view and the path that goes around the lake is flat.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 08:16 AM
gkb
Original Poster

Thanks everyone especially Pooh Bear! The hints were just what I needed someone who has traveled with elderly.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 08:48 AM

You're welcome, gkb. Have a great trip!
Old May 27th, 2003, 10:51 AM

get a lakeside view of Chateau lake louise, definitely worth every penny. Deer lodge which is ten min. by walking from CLL is also worth looking. Take the icefield parkway drive to columbia icefield, this is the best part of the rockies. Just got back the other week. To see is to believe. Banff gondola, bow fall are also a must.