Porter Airlines -- a wise choice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was flight shopping this afternoon, looking for a September trip from Chicago to Montreal. I happened onto Porter Airlines, which is currently running a 30% off sale if one books before July 13. I can fly to Montreal (stopping in Toronto, of course) for less than half of the cheapest comprable fare I can find on an airline I'm familiar with ($250 RT on Porter vs. $550 on American) and way cheaper than the cheapest non-stop ($800ish on United).

I'd never heard of Porter, and the latest postings about it on this forum are from 2007. A quick Google search reveals no tremendous problems, but I'd rather rely on opinions here. Would Porter be a good choice (besides the price) -- safety record, on-time record, airport location in Montreal ...?

Thanks!
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 03:26 PM

Porter is fine.
I do not know where they land in Montreal but it is probably the Montreal Pierre Elliot Trudeau airport where everything else lands. It's a 20 minute cab ride to downtown Montreal in non-rush hour....about 40 in peak rush hour.

In Toronto, Porter does not land @ the "main" Toronto airport where everbody else lands....Pearson Airport (YYZ). Instead, Porter lands in Downtown Toronto @ The Island Airport.(YTZ...Billy Bishop airport).
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 03:31 PM

It is a fairly new (5 or 6 years old, maybe ?), stylish, boutique type airline that flies in and out of the island airport in downtown Toronto and is very popular with business travellers. I've not flown it yet but many friends have and they love it. The look and feel is modern and chic 60's.
I recently stayed at a hotel in Ottawa where their crew overnighted and they turned heads in the lobby when they passed through in their stylish designer uniforms and hats. I know this is all frippery information, but their service and safety record is excellent from all first hand reports, since they don't have many competitors in their niche of the air-travel market. Their racoon logo is cute too.

I don't know if they fly into any other smaller airport closer to the city center than the main airport in Dorval, but if the latter, you will be a distance from the city centre (as are all air arrivals to Mtl) and will have to take a fixed rate cab ride (about CA$ 40.00 one way) to the city centre if thats where you're going.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 03:42 PM

From Chicago, Porter flies out of Midway, not ORD...does that matter to you? Looks like Porter flies into YUL...Montreal "ain" airport.

Just, FYI, Air Canada & estjet usually llow suit when Porter announces a sale. So, maybeait until later tonight or tomorrow to see if that happens. You have until July 13 for Porter. Yu may get an even better deal. I not, go w/ Porter. O, if you are happy w/ Porter based on what you now know, just book it now.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 03:44 PM

Montreal "main" airport....

Air Canada and Westjet follow suit

Maybe wait...

Something wrong w/ my keyboard...sorry...
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 03:52 PM

We flew Porter from Windsor to Quebec City. They are an awesome airline!!!! They actually feed you. Seats are good and when you fly into Toronto you are right downtown. Their Toronto airport lounge is great. I would not hesitate to recommend them. They could not have been more acommodating.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone, especially for the tips about Air Canada and Westjet ... I'll wait a bit and see what happens!

I realized that Porter flies out of Midway (we prefer Midway for we live in northwest Indiana and Midway is much closer -- plus they just closed an exit ramp from one major expressway to another and the detour loops out towards O'Hare and then back, so it's the traffic from hell right now. Sorry; way more information than any of you wanted, I'm sure) and I knew I read something about an alternate airport and confused Toronto and Montreal.

Nice to find a new (for me) alternative!

Thanks again!
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 04:49 AM

In case you do not know Porter Airlines flies Canadian-built Bombardier Aerospace Q400 turboprop aircraft. They do not fly jets if you are particular on what type of airplane you fly. I have not flown Porter but my son has. He said he will fly to any destination served by Porter.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone; DH says that the Bombardier addes to the fun. So, think we're set!
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 01:25 AM

I have flown Porter many times and it is an excellent airline! Easy trip from Halifax to downtown Toronto! The turbo prop planes are a little noisy, but the service makes up for it! Nice to have a snack and a glass of wine that you don't have to pay for!